Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Remember Jones: 'Don't Put Me On Hold
Ahh, In my part of the world we get a day off for a horse race. I'm not a big one for the punt, so I thought I would mix a song instead.

What a busy busy song, with so many parts to make fit. More congestion then on Burke St in peak hour.Tongue Still, a great performance and live energy, and played so tight. There is something these live performances capture, that is just magical.

Thanks for listening.

.mp3    RememberJones_DontPutMeOnHold_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.72 MB)

Hi Dave ,
Was there a horse race on today lol,
My brother was a jockey for over 20 years and useless as a pocket in a singlet or an ash tray on a motor bike on giving any tips lol !
You nailed it First time love it , personal taste a touch more top end crack on the snare would be awesome to me anyway !

Nice one !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Not bad Dave. However, I feel as though there is a veil over the mix with presence lost across the board. I think Don was alluding to this too.

With the lead vocal so incredibly strong on this piece and virtually indestructible, the challenge here is to bring the ensemble into sharp focus against such a dominant lead. Sounds easy, but NOT. I've got 5 passes at this seemingly simple blue-eyed soul classic and can't yet say I've got the balance of clarity, punch and presence I am seeking. This challenge I think is a testament to the awesome power and character of the vocalist. Add to that a quick tempo in need of pointilistic vision in a swampy low mid field. ARRRRGH!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-11-2017, 10:50 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave ,
Was there a horse race on today lol,
My brother was a jockey for over 20 years and useless as a pocket in a singlet or an ash tray on a motor bike on giving any tips lol !
You nailed it First time love it , personal taste a touch more top end crack on the snare would be awesome to me anyway !

Nice one !

"More tips than a tin of asparagus"

Thanks Don, Means a lot.Big Grin Yeah, a little more 7k on the snare would give it that nice edge. I think I agree with you on that one.

Cheers.
(07-11-2017, 03:50 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not bad Dave. However, I feel as though there is a veil over the mix with presence lost across the board. I think Don was alluding to this too.

With the lead vocal so incredibly strong on this piece and virtually indestructible, the challenge here is to bring the ensemble into sharp focus against such a dominant lead. Sounds easy, but NOT. I've got 5 passes at this seemingly simple blue-eyed soul classic and can't yet say I've got the balance of clarity, punch and presence I am seeking. This challenge I think is a testament to the awesome power and character of the vocalist. Add to that a quick tempo in need of pointilistic vision in a swampy low mid field. ARRRRGH!

Thanks for comments Mitc. You put a lot more thought into this one than I did, that's for sure. In saying that, I'm not completely sure what you think the issues are. Is the mix a little dark overall? I'm not sure. Anyway, I do agree with your thoughts on the vocal performance. I watched the video of this recording and the vocalist was so into it. It was great to see.
Although this was a pretty quick "put together" mix, I'm still pretty happy with it a couple of days on. If I do another pass though, I would perhaps try and get a little more loudness and energy out of it, just to match the intensity of the performance overall.

Thanks again bloke.Big Grin

(09-11-2017, 11:19 AM)Dangerous Wrote:
(07-11-2017, 03:50 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not bad Dave. However, I feel as though there is a veil over the mix with presence lost across the board. I think Don was alluding to this too.

Thanks for comments Mitc. You put a lot more thought into this one than I did, that's for sure. In saying that, I'm not completely sure what you think the issues are. Is the mix a little dark overall? I'm not sure. Anyway, I do agree with your thoughts on the vocal performance. I watched the video of this recording and the vocalist was so into it. It was great to see.
Although this was a pretty quick "put together" mix, I'm still pretty happy with it a couple of days on. If I do another pass though, I would perhaps try and get a little more loudness and energy out of it, just to match the intensity of the performance overall.

Thanks again bloke.Big Grin

Dave,
Sorry if I was being cryptic. By presence I meant clarity. Dark would be one way of assessing it but not the most accurate in this instance. Blurry, maybe. It just sounded a little foggy to me like the environment needed to be clearer, which would go a long way to lifting that veil. Maybe a lifting of the low pass on reverbs and raising of hi-pass on the same? Your instrumental balances are spot on. Lift that veil, tote that barge... LOL!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-11-2017, 03:15 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Dave,
Sorry if I was being cryptic. By presence I meant clarity. Dark would be one way of assessing it but not the most accurate in this instance. Blurry, maybe. It just sounded a little foggy to me like the environment needed to be clearer, which would go a long way to lifting that veil. Maybe a lifting of the low pass on reverbs and raising of hi-pass on the same? Your instrumental balances are spot on. Lift that veil, tote that barge... LOL!

Ahh, that makes some sense now. I usually associate presence with treble as per the "presence" control on my guitar amp, which I guess in that instance effectively has the same meaning. I can't remember what I did in regards to reverb, but I have got several types running in the mix. Thanks for the heads up, I will look into it and see what I can do.Smile
Hi Dave i like your mix but i do agree with some of the previous comments about veil over your mix imo,cheers for sharing your mix.
Thanks Cudjoe,

If I can find a spare 5mins I will have a go at making some improvements. That's a big "IF" at the moment though.Smile

Cheers Bloke.
I'll call the cops if you don't shut that party down! Seriously, I think you squeezed every drop of mojo out of those tracks, especially for a one day mix.
Only thing out of place would be the TOM 1, loud, dry, no low end and bites way more than the rest of the drums. It is not enough to help me from enjoy the song because everything else works, yet.

Listening on headphones here, Audio Technica ATH-M50x.