Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About This Multitrack
You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

This project was recorded as part of a fabulous orchestral-recording workshop for student audio engineers which formed part of the Audio Engineering Society's 2014 Central European Student Summit in Moscow. The workshop was led by one of Russia' foremost classical recording engineers, Maria Soboleva, and brought together the internationally renowned concert pianist Andrey Yaroshinsky with the Chamber Orchestra of The Gnessin Academy (one of Russia's top music conservatoires) in the Gnessin Academy's main concert hall. The microphones were a jaw-dropping selection of box-fresh Neumann condenser mics, featuring a main stereo pair, a pair of outriggers, a hall pair, and spot mics for the woodwinds (stereo), solo piano (in stereo) and each of the five string sections (mono).

Here are some pictures of the session. First, an overview of the main and stage mics:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup1_Overview.jpg]

From the side of the stage to show the alignment of the main and outrigger pairs:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup2_MainMics.jpg]

From a bit further away so you can see the hall pair:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup3_HallMics.jpg]

A shot across the stage from the side to show the positioning of the orchestral spots:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup4_Spots.jpg]

A shot of the spots from the other side of the stage, with the lovely Maria Soboleva in the foreground!

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup5_Spots.jpg]

The piano spot mics in close-up, featuring Andrey Yaroshinksy at the keyboard:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup6_PianoSpots.jpg]

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post.
WOW!!! The basses and cellos ARE to the left. That explains a lot Smile

(07-11-2017, 11:42 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: WOW!!! The basses and cellos ARE to the left. That explains a lot Smile

Yeah, not an uncommon setup by any means, though.

Surprised not to have seen the usual 'Decca Tree' - but when you look at how close the front seats are to the stage, there wouldn't have been enough room to get the 'big' microphone stand and suspension arm in. Yes.... basses and cellos to the left; That does explain a lot.
Please consider becoming a patron of Cambridge Music Technology to help Mike keep this Awesome Educational Site Alive! -- https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts
This track sounds incredible! Thanks for posting this one Mike!
Can you tell me the manufacturer and model number of the mics used and which polar patterns they were in? I am curious in case I ever decide to try to record one of my local school orchestras.
Thanks!
(07-11-2017, 11:42 PM)TheNeverScene Wrote: WOW!!! The basses and cellos ARE to the left. That explains a lot Smile

LOL. What... never. Sheese. I should have looked at these pics first. got some good results though. Can't wait to straighten it out for another perspective..
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
This is wonderfully and artfully recorded in a beautiful sounding room. such a treat to be able to alter the listening perspective so easily with the stereo pairs and the sectional mics. I guessed wrong with the location of the cellos and bass. Should have known but the spreads.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hello so I cannot really see where exactly all the instruments are at by the pictures. I am really trying to capture the third-row experience. Also, what are the woodwinds does this include an oboe or just French horns? since cellos are on the left then who is sitting on the right? I can't really tell.

Thank you.

If you have any other general questions about this multitrack, just reply to this post.
[/quote]

(07-11-2017, 08:35 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: You can find the multitrack files for this project in the 'Mixing Secrets' Free Multitrack Download Library.

Before posting a mix, please read The Three Commandments!
Please post your mix as a new thread, rather than as a reply to this sticky.

This project was recorded as part of a fabulous orchestral-recording workshop for student audio engineers which formed part of the Audio Engineering Society's 2014 Central European Student Summit in Moscow. The workshop was led by one of Russia' foremost classical recording engineers, Maria Soboleva, and brought together the internationally renowned concert pianist Andrey Yaroshinsky with the Chamber Orchestra of The Gnessin Academy (one of Russia's top music conservatoires) in the Gnessin Academy's main concert hall. The microphones were a jaw-dropping selection of box-fresh Neumann condenser mics, featuring a main stereo pair, a pair of outriggers, a hall pair, and spot mics for the woodwinds (stereo), solo piano (in stereo) and each of the five string sections (mono).

Here are some pictures of the session. First, an overview of the main and stage mics:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup1_Overview.jpg]

From the side of the stage to show the alignment of the main and outrigger pairs:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup2_MainMics.jpg]

From a bit further away so you can see the hall pair:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup3_HallMics.jpg]

A shot across the stage from the side to show the positioning of the orchestral spots:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup4_Spots.jpg]

A shot of the spots from the other side of the stage, with the lovely Maria Soboleva in the foreground!

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup5_Spots.jpg]

The piano spot mics in close-up, featuring Andrey Yaroshinksy at the keyboard:

[Image: AESCESS2014_MicSetup6_PianoSpots.jpg]

Mike:  The Photos seem to have dropped off this post.  Are they still available?  Please advise. Thank you!  John Nygren