Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piano Concerto_mix Tommy Marcinek
AngelAngelAngel

OK......MOZART! NOW WE'RE TALKIN'

Had fun with this. Gonna check out the other mixes. Peace!

Comments are always welcomed.

Tom

-------------------UPDATE

Uploaded version 8. After some suggestions from Steinar and Dave, I used those suggestions and think this newest mix is pretty good. Let me know what'cha think. :-)

Tom

.mp3    Piano Concerto_7M.mp3 --  (Download: 23.72 MB)

.mp3    Piano Concerto_8M.mp3 --  (Download: 23.72 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(05-11-2017, 11:57 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: AngelAngelAngel

Tom

Hi Tom

Thank you for your comment. Great to have a discussion. Here's my view on you mix:

First, there are a lot of good qualities in your work. Balanced, seems that you got the panning right. I might have to redo mine a bit after listening to your mix.

Here is my opinion what to do even better:

There are what I call a "Stomach" in the low mids or high lows. Seems to come from the bass. It makes it a bit "muddy". Key freq here for a start will be 90 Hz, 160 Hz and my be 270 - 500 Hz If I'm right.

You have a very good spread/panning and with "space" between the instruments, I do miss some more "air" between them though. With this recording this is very hard to achieve due to all the bleeding between all the mikes. Key elements here will be gating spot mikes(to avoid bleeding - very hard to do due to the grand piano that are so loud) and phase treatments

The grand piano could have been a little more "open" and with a little bit more clarity.

Hope this have some value for you and feel free to give the same type of comments in return. We always have something to learn.

Steinar :-)
Harrison Consoles Mixbus/Mixbus32C 8.0 DAWs, Kubuntu Linux 64 21.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM [email protected], 12 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, 418.226 prop. driver. Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface
(06-11-2017, 12:14 PM)sthauge Wrote:
(05-11-2017, 11:57 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: AngelAngelAngel

Tom

Hi Tom

Thank you for your comment. Great to have a discussion. Here's my view on you mix:

First, there are a lot of good qualities in your work. Balanced, seems that you got the panning right. I might have to redo mine a bit after listening to your mix.

Here is my opinion what to do even better:

There are what I call a "Stomach" in the low mids or high lows. Seems to come from the bass. It makes it a bit "muddy". Key freq here for a start will be 90 Hz, 160 Hz and my be 270 - 500 Hz If I'm right.

You have a very good spread/panning and with "space" between the instruments, I do miss some more "air" between them though. With this recording this is very hard to achieve due to all the bleeding between all the mikes. Key elements here will be gating spot mikes(to avoid bleeding - very hard to do due to the grand piano that are so loud) and phase treatments

The grand piano could have been a little more "open" and with a little bit more clarity.

Hope this have some value for you and feel free to give the same type of comments in return. We always have something to learn.

----------------
Steinar,

Thanks very much for your feedback.....some very good advice......will re-visit this to make improvements for sure. :-)

Later....and peace.....

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Sweet sounding Tom. Great clarity and space. Big Grin
I'm also hearing a slight fullness 100Hz-200Hz that comes and goes, mainly effecting the larger stringed instruments. No big issue though.

Well Done.Big Grin
Hi Tom

Your 8 version is great. You are very close now and I can rely enjoy listening to that version. This is not needed, but the only thing I can think of, is to get even more "air" into it. Here is one trick you can try to achieve that:

I don't use the "Hall" mikes into the mix in the usual way, so what you can try is to flip the phase on them and fade them into your master channel until you hopefully can hear the "air" coming into the orchestra and grand piano. It might not always work, but on this recording it did. It's not a revolution, especially because your mix is so good, but it may gives the last extra edge to the mix.

I use this trick when I record and mix choirs, stings and pianos.

I've also reposted a new version, but in a new post. I also included a link to the .WAV file. MP3 do not give credit to a recording like this. Feel free to comment on it. We always have something to learn.

Harrison Consoles Mixbus/Mixbus32C 8.0 DAWs, Kubuntu Linux 64 21.10, Stock Low latency kernel, KXstudio repos, i7-3720QM [email protected], 12 Gb RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2, 418.226 prop. driver. Zoom L12 Digital mixer/Audio interface