Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ambitions by All Hands Lost mixed by Rob
Here's my mix!
Editing: I think vocals are enough in tune (song is an A minor, right?), about time: I decided to copy some chords on the chorus to made a quad track guitar riff but I had to make some time stretch to match it, I don't know if the drummer play over a metronome track but there's a lot of time changes.

I used some automation on the snare reverb return, because in the palm muting guitar verse it was too much, on the bass track in the chorus and on guitar pan in the intro.

Some sample have been used on snare and kick to reinforce them.

I did a "pseudo mastering" to match loudness with the other tracks on the thread.

.mp3    All Hands Lost - Ambitions - mixed by Rob.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

I’m listening to your mixes on the grotboxes in my office right now. Some comments:
  • Too much reverb on guitar in the intro. (Not a big fan of too much reverb. Smile)
  • The snare is very low and sounds quite dull. Also, most of the hi hat hits are almost unhearable here (might be a grotbox thing).
  • The delay on the screamed vocals in the middle is very nice!
  • The guitars sound overly bright and somehow squashed together.
And no, I don’t think the drummer used a click track. Both drummer and bass player are very free spirits when it comes to keeping a steady beat. Smile
Most mixes done in Reaper or Bitwig on a MacBook Pro using Sony MDR-7506 headphones and some hifi system with old Saba speakers in a small-ish untreated room. If I commented on your mix, please check the board for my mix and reciprocate. :) Thank you!