Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrey Yaroshinsky & The Gnessin Academy Chamber Orchestra
(17-11-2017, 07:52 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Any perspective you listen to this performance and wonderful recording will reveal delicious aspects of its wonderful tonal complexity. You have capture a very intimate and perspective, possibly row 2, set 9! Well done. Beautiful. One point I would raise is focus on the piano gets a little bit blurred as compared to the presence of the strings.

Thanks Mitc,

Along with loupi, thats 2 votes for the piano. I have hopefully made an improvement with mix#2. A have 3x reverb channels running in this mix and found my "ambience" reverb was spreading the piano in a bad way. I have since mono-ed the piano send to this reverb channel and this has tightened the focus in this regard whist keeping the sound close to my reference mix.

Thanks for your inputBig Grin
Mix 2 is superb. Good focus on the piano and fullness to the orchestra with solid localization. The only thing I might consider is rolling off the high end on the spot piano pair.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(21-11-2017, 03:19 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Mix 2 is superb. Good focus on the piano and fullness to the orchestra with solid localization. The only thing I might consider is rolling off the high end on the spot piano pair.

Thanks Mitc, yeah, and possibly some of the strings also. Not sure, I think I need some more time to digest.
I love the mix 2, it's nice. This music is really beautiful to work with
(23-12-2017, 03:21 PM)gckhai Wrote: I love the mix 2, it's nice. This music is really beautiful to work with

Thankyou,

It is beautiful music to work with, and so rewarding.
It seemed to me that strings began to sound more thin than in the original. Maybe you tried to make the woodwind quieter and at the same time lost warmth in the timbre of the strings. The sound of the piano was compensated for by the spot?
Hi Romario,

It's been a while since I've mixed this so my memories not so good. It would be as far assumption that the strings could have been compromised for the sake of the woodwind. I was fairly happy with my sound in the end, so it could have been just an intentional taste thing. I'm not sure what you are asking of the piano, but I would have used the spot mics to add a little focus to the piano's sound within orchestra space.

Thanks for your comments and having a listen.