Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Andrey Yaroshinsky & The Gnessin Academy Chamber Orchestra
Well, this is a real treat! and an absolute delight to work with.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Did I read correct that Mike may have more of these recordings to come? I can only hope.

Thanks for Listening

Mix#2 - A slightly more focused sound from the piano.

.mp3    GnessinAcademyOrchestra_PianoConcertoK414_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 23.89 MB)

.mp3    GnessinAcademyOrchestra_PianoConcertoK414_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 23.89 MB)

This sounds great! I'm a little confused as to whether or not people automate levels on orchestral mixes (outside of cinematic arrangements). It sounds like you did because the crescendos (and decrescendos, etc) are very smooth and have more impact than what I was hearing in the original recording.

Again, a joy to listen to.
great mix Dange! classy, natural and warm. the piano sounds big and full but maybe looses a bit of defenition fe. round 2'55" the fast notes aren't very clear. i did phase-work and used a preamp sim and a little compression on the piano, and on the 2-bus i used a dynamic eq to control the mid-range build-up a bit. your version is very nice to listen to!
(05-11-2017, 01:28 AM)TheNeverScene Wrote: This sounds great! I'm a little confused as to whether or not people automate levels on orchestral mixes (outside of cinematic arrangements). It sounds like you did because the crescendos (and decrescendos, etc) are very smooth and have more impact than what I was hearing in the original recording.

Again, a joy to listen to.

Thanks Mike, Yeah, no automation or compression happening here. I think it's just arranging the tracks for the best translation of the performance overall. There were some spot mic tracks that I inverted and the "Hall" track from memory also. The accumulative effects here may be the contributing factor.
I would love to see a professional engineer work on assembling a performance like this. I think it would be a real eye opener.
(05-11-2017, 09:22 AM)loupi Wrote: great mix Dange! classy, natural and warm. the piano sounds big and full but maybe looses a bit of defenition fe. round 2'55" the fast notes aren't very clear. i did phase-work and used a preamp sim and a little compression on the piano, and on the 2-bus i used a dynamic eq to control the mid-range build-up a bit. your version is very nice to listen to!

The piano is bigger than what I thought it should be, but referencing showed me otherwise. Some of my introduced reverbs maybe affecting the pianos definition as you're hearing. Some extra spot mic may help, but once again I tried to get the room sound around the piano similar to the reference. I will look into it regardless, so thanks for your thoughts.Smile
(05-11-2017, 12:40 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Well, this is a real treat! and an absolute delight to work with.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Did I read correct that Mike may have more of these recordings to come? I can only hope.

Thanks for Listening

---------------
Dave, great work as usual!! Pleasure to listen to your take on this. Although the tracks were great this still presented a bit of a challenge on several fronts. I think you handled them all well indeed!

Later.........

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(06-11-2017, 12:03 AM)tjmtruth Wrote: Dave, great work as usual!! Pleasure to listen to your take on this. Although the tracks were great this still presented a bit of a challenge on several fronts. I think you handled them all well indeed!

Later.........

Tom

Thanks Tom, Challenging for sure, and extremely rewarding.Big Grin

Great job. I really enjoyed listening to your mix.
(15-11-2017, 04:13 PM)johnfueston Wrote: Great job. I really enjoyed listening to your mix.

Thanks John. A very enjoyable piece of music to work with.Big Grin I'm stoked that you enjoyed it. Thanks again for the positive feedback.

Dave
Any perspective you listen to this performance and wonderful recording will reveal delicious aspects of its wonderful tonal complexity. You have capture a very intimate and perspective, possibly row 2, set 9! Well done. Beautiful. One point I would raise is focus on the piano gets a little bit blurred as compared to the presence of the strings.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]