Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Backroom in Tulsa
Great song, here's my first ever attempt to mix anything of this genre. Also, my first attempt to mix using Reaper. I tried not to use too much effects/compression to preserve the great original sound, and the dynamics.

The mix is done using only headphones, as I don't have any proper monitors available atm. Thus, the bass might sound a bit boomy/off, kinda hard to tell :(

.mp3    backroom_in_tulsa.mp3 --  (Download: 8.77 MB)

All the drums and overheads a way too loud,and the vox too low
and too much reverb
Welcome to this forum, Andy

In your mix there's many nice ideas but I think they are not in balance now. Your headphones could explain many of those problems. I'm ready to believe that your headphones are not suited for mixing duties.

As you said, the bass has some problems. It's not in the same room. It sounds like a later added instrument.

I liked the moving tremolo effect.

I'm sure that if you redo your idea with monitors you'll get a balanced and an interesting mix out of this.

I loved the plugin that you used for vocals in the end. Tell me what it is. I want to use that to change my own voice to sound like Elvis, John Lennon or Fogerty. Smile
Thanks for the replies!
Guess I probably should get some better monitors/headphones then, any advice on that would be very welcome. I'm using AKG K99 now btw.
Olli H, The vocals have the delay plugin from Kjaerhus Classic Series, it's free apparently: http://www.vstwarehouse.com/2011/06/kjae...eries.html
They also are double-tracked with the use of the second vocal take. That probably also adds to the feel Smile
About monitors and home studio. If your room is not well treated, I don't see any reason to spend fortune on monitors. Cheap flat monitors in a good room will give you better result than top monitors in a bad room.

About headphones and home studio. Don't save money on these. Buy the best quality. And ones that are meant for mixing (open), not for recording (closed). And don't read what me or other hobbyists say about headphones. Life is much easier if you listen on this subject only those who make big money with their ears.

If you don't want to study the subject, take Sennheiser HD 600. Price 300-400 €. Many audio superpros use them. Here's a comment from legendary mastering engineer Bob Katz:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-po...post724704