Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Rubblebucket - Carousel Ride deadislandrecords mix
Hey everybody,

Enjoy the mix!

Some notes:

- Mixed as a telefunken video session, not a record
- Key word up there ^ 'mixed', not mastered. if ya want loud, turn ya damned volume up Tongue
- Really, really had to hold off from making that tom huge in this, but it personally just didn't feel like the type of song it should be (live at least); I really liked the bare bones kind of feel
- Strayed pretty far away from most reverb here, put just about everything in one room to keep it living in that live space
- Quiet slap on the vocal to give it some more depth
- Also bussed a sans-amp on the vocal
- During the full instrumentation parts, I felt the tom got lost in it's own isolation a bit, so I actually side-chained the tom to the acoustic
- Used an Eventide 910 to widen things out a bit on the room mic & acoustic

Lmk watchy'all think!

.mp3    Rubblebucket - Carousel Ride DEADISLANDRECORDS.mp3 --  (Download: 10.13 MB)

Nice and clean. I like it lots. Good job!

That slap on the voice is lovely, not sure if I'd know that it's there without reading your notes, but it sure makes its job beautifully.
very natural sounding and balanced mix. Sounds great on my system Smile

i like that you've treated the toms as toms.....most mixes that Ive heard have gone the "kick" path. i struggled with that choice myself, but chose the tom route in the end too as it sounds a bit tighter and less rumbly.

cheers
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar