Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet B - Where Wolves? There Wolves - MITC Mixes #2
Dear Community,
The one thing about Jet B is the immediately recognizable lead singer's voice. I know producers and A&R people who search their entire careers for that one immediately identifiable voice and this cat's (kitten's?) got it.
(Note: Am I the only one who thought the lead singer was male as was completely wrong?)

That being said, the choices of material for her voice have not been the best so far. This song is no exception. (My apologies to the song writer(s)). The lyrics are at sometimes strong and at others very weak and as for dynamics, forget it. There are none. This is a drone of a song dynamically. Finding space for the thickness of instruments in this piece is a chore. However, once found, it can be sonically pleasing.

I took a keyboard approach to this piece which I think is different than most approaches and worked hard to get the piano to read well throughout the song embellished by the guitars and all in support of the vocals.

I found the song to be pretty well recorded with no real fights with anything.

So here is my mix. I hope you find it engaging and interesting. As always, your thoughts and input are greatly appreciated.

Have fun...
MITC

Jet B - To The Wolves
10-18-2017

Jet B - To The Wolves - Mix 2
10-19-2017

Improved vocals, tonal balance and guitar leads.

.mp3    Jet B - To The Wolves.mp3 --  (Download: 10.3 MB)

.mp3    Jet B - To The Wolves - Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.3 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Thank you for your comment to my thread. I listened to your mixes. I like Mix 2. I can imagine how hard you worked on the piano track (It's buried in my mix). The piano adds depth and width to the mix. Your keyboard approach is very interesting.

I realized that the bass in your mix is really fat. Can you give me a hint? I didn't do much for the bass track but I should have paid more attention.

Thank you for listening my mix again.
(31-10-2017, 12:34 PM)Daiko Wrote: Thank you for your comment to my thread. I listened to your mixes. I like Mix 2. I can imagine how hard you worked on the piano track (It's buried in my mix). The piano adds depth and width to the mix. Your keyboard approach is very interesting.

I realized that the bass in your mix is really fat. Can you give me a hint? I didn't do much for the bass track but I should have paid more attention.

Thank you for listening my mix again.

Thanks for your comments. As for the bass, nothing really unusual. I do have a go-to compressor (similar to an LA-2A) and a phase coherent eq. The eq on this is a bit all over the place with cuts only in a bit of a comb filter to fill in the sound field and match with the kick. The bass participates in the general reverb of the song as well. Hope that helps.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Mix 2 for me also. I went and had a listen to some of your other mixes and they are very easy on the ears and on point. The Selwin Jazz tune (mix 3, room mic focused)... the horns section knocked my socks off.
Thank you for your tips about the bass track. The bass was recorded well, so I was wondering if you have used a bass enhancer or something. Maybe I should have turned it up a little more. Reverb on bass is very inspiring for me.