Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Metal Sucks (Silmane mix)
Found this site through the /r/guitar discord and was struggling with my music. Decided to give this a try and since it's my genre, chose this song first.

I tried to mix it under 90 mins. Let me know your thoughts.

.mp3    DeathMetalSucks.mp3 --  (Download: 8.32 MB)

I like the balance on the last half of the guitars! Great Mix! The drums really compliment the overall sound. The fader effect is also great!
Nice Rhythm guitars, they sound very "Death Metal(ish)"Cool
(23-10-2017, 03:13 AM)fjuarez3 Wrote: I like the balance on the last half of the guitars! Great Mix! The drums really compliment the overall sound. The fader effect is also great!

Thank you! I had to come back and listen to this with a fresh ear and it's not too shabby!
Overall I think this mix could work, however it seems the bass is super muddy, the bass is too low mid heavy at 300-500 Hz, and the leads need a stereo delay on them to make them sound more dramatic in the mix. The ring in the snare also gets old really quickly and actually fights against the rhythm guitars.

I like the "chainsaw" style tone on the rhythms (kindof a more extreme Dimebag tone), for that sound to work though, you really need to tighten up the bass and give it a real nasty midrange in the 600 Hz- 2.5 kHz range so that it makes up for the scoop in the guitars. I found using a Tubescreamer emulation infront of the TSE B.O.D plugin came in clutch for this and helped fight some lowend buildup on the bass, you may also find spliting the bass into a "Hi" and "low" track (the high track is highpassed to 300-500 Hz and the low track is lowpassed to whatever the highpass is set to on the other track) will give you more control over the bass tone. Use some distortion on the hi bass track and blend it in with the low track so you get a more aggressive sounding bass.

For the snare I think the ring was at 280 Hz so using a very narrowband eq cut will take care of that easily, also a transient designer or gate will help.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(24-10-2017, 07:41 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Overall I think this mix could work, however it seems the bass is super muddy, the bass is too low mid heavy at 300-500 Hz, and the leads need a stereo delay on them to make them sound more dramatic in the mix. The ring in the snare also gets old really quickly and actually fights against the rhythm guitars.

I like the "chainsaw" style tone on the rhythms (kindof a more extreme Dimebag tone), for that sound to work though, you really need to tighten up the bass and give it a real nasty midrange in the 600 Hz- 2.5 kHz range so that it makes up for the scoop in the guitars. I found using a Tubescreamer emulation infront of the TSE B.O.D plugin came in clutch for this and helped fight some lowend buildup on the bass, you may also find spliting the bass into a "Hi" and "low" track (the high track is highpassed to 300-500 Hz and the low track is lowpassed to whatever the highpass is set to on the other track) will give you more control over the bass tone. Use some distortion on the hi bass track and blend it in with the low track so you get a more aggressive sounding bass.

For the snare I think the ring was at 280 Hz so using a very narrowband eq cut will take care of that easily, also a transient designer or gate will help.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug

Sweet. Thank you for the suggestions. Bass hasn't been my strong suit, that's for sure.