Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Earth Frequencies Mix
Bring on the funk! Big Grin

.mp3    Lookin\' Tough, Feelin\' Good.mp3 --  (Download: 16.03 MB)

Nice mix! Particularly like the vocal blend... I'd ease up on that reverb use, though.

Listening through, look to automate the level of the bass at certain point. Understandably it's funk, and the artist would likely be happy (or just the bassist), but it can get distracting from other key elements at certain points.

ALSO, while we're talking about bass, THROW A SIDECHAIN COMP to gauge the relationship between kick and bass a bit better. Losing a ton of power from the kick!

Either way, nice mix.
(23-10-2017, 09:00 PM)deadislandrecords Wrote: Nice mix! Particularly like the vocal blend... I'd ease up on that reverb use, though.

Listening through, look to automate the level of the bass at certain point. Understandably it's funk, and the artist would likely be happy (or just the bassist), but it can get distracting from other key elements at certain points.

ALSO, while we're talking about bass, THROW A SIDECHAIN COMP to gauge the relationship between kick and bass a bit better. Losing a ton of power from the kick!

Either way, nice mix.

The kick in funk is there to reinforce the bass, it ain't EDM dude Smile

(24-10-2017, 04:41 PM)Earth Frequencies Wrote:
(23-10-2017, 09:00 PM)deadislandrecords Wrote: Nice mix! Particularly like the vocal blend... I'd ease up on that reverb use, though.

Either way, nice mix.

For sure man, to each their own! I've just been tracking and mixing funk artists for years now and almost always go by the OG funk/soul guide from fame studios, muscle shoals - making kick AND bass the prominent drivers in a mix. For me, the most important part of a funk/soul groove comes directly from your rhythm section.
(24-10-2017, 09:05 PM)deadislandrecords Wrote:
(24-10-2017, 04:41 PM)Earth Frequencies Wrote:

Either way, nice mix.

For sure man, to each their own! I've just been tracking and mixing funk artists for years now and almost always go by the OG funk/soul guide from fame studios, muscle shoals - making kick AND bass the prominent drivers in a mix. For me, the most important part of a funk/soul groove comes directly from your rhythm section.

Fake it till you make it? Tongue