Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
my mix
https://soundcloud.com/christian-huber-4...by-axecult

hope you enjoy

.mp3    Mixdown(2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

The intro was cool, however the whole thing falls apart as soon as the band kicks in, the guitars sound like they were run through an amp sim without the cab emulation or IR giving them a wimpy, lifeless tone (probably good for Black Metal or a noise band, this is Death Metal though). The snare is really scooped sounding and lacks any attack or punch and the rest of the kick just seems to be undefined, especially in the double kick sections. The cymbals are very high in the mix and incredibly sibilant, it really makes the mix hard to crank up as it just gets fatiguing to listen to.

I would keep the intro of the track and start over on the rest of the mix, neutralize all eq and compression and either use a less fizzy amp sim or throw a cab emulation on the amp sim you're using now. With such a big sounding intro the rest of the track will need to hit even harder than that to be effective, as of now it's rather anticlimactic (it gives this epic vibe to the track but then when the band appears they're just a bunch of really skinny guys playing on 15 watt Line 6 Spyder amps on "insane" mode). Try adding more reverb to the intro to make it more atmospheric and filter out the low end and top end a bit and reducing the level so it's more ominous, that way when the band comes in it really pushes you back in you seat.

Cheers, and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
first of all thx for your review! i really appreciate it.
the amp sim used is one of the best amp sim ever made(and my absolute favroutite when it comes to rocky strat tones). its the fuchs train 2. i am guitarist and i know what i am talking about.
BUT: yes you are right and i heard it of course. it doesnt sound death metal and it is NOT a metal amp anyways. was thinking about switching amps but then i just wanted to finish it took me too much time Smile
i will do another mix with different amps. maybe engl or sth.... will post it here.
as for the drums: i like them Smile)))
maybe the master EQ needs some tweak.....

i am using UAD plugins + slate

so here my new result.

.mp3    Mixdown(3).mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

(14-10-2017, 07:34 PM)axecult Wrote: so here my new result.

after listening several times well i think the sound of solo guitar is shit.
if anyone interested in a new mix let me know Smile