Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All "Murican Mutt
I'm probably one of the worst guys to mix this kind of track as I'm not big into Country (I do like me some Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, and Chet Atkins though!), but here's my attempt at this cool little track.

Cheers,
Doug

Update: Not much really changed here, I added some tape saturation to my mixbuss and added an octaver and parallel distortion to the bass during the chorus to fill them out more. The backing vocals in the chorus have a touch of pitch correction on them to tighten them up also. When listening in the car the bass seemed to work better and give more contrast between the verse and chorus sections.

.mp3    All \'Murican Mutt Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.63 MB)

.mp3    All \'Murican Mutt Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.66 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Lovely transparency. I'd take the backing vocal down, as it is a bit flat in tune when it kicks in. Nevertheless, well done! ^_^
Nothing wrong with your take on this. Everything sounds good and in a good place. It may lack a bit of energy but that would be a very minor point. Well done. The vocals are spot on.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(08-10-2017, 10:08 PM)kapu Wrote: Lovely transparency. I'd take the backing vocal down, as it is a bit flat in tune when it kicks in. Nevertheless, well done! ^_^

Thanks man! Funny enough Im running 4 dB of comp on my mixbuss plus some multiband comp and a about 2-3 dB on my drums buss. The bass was basically mixed as is, just needed a couple small scoops to clear it up a bit. I also ended up tuning the backups in the new version of my mix and turning them down a couple dB.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(09-10-2017, 10:59 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Nothing wrong with your take on this. Everything sounds good and in a good place. It may lack a bit of energy but that would be a very minor point. Well done. The vocals are spot on.

Yeah, it actually turned out better than I thought it would. The acoustic was really what threw me for a loop at first, but filtering and some compression where the keys to getting it heard in the mix. The bass really is what gives this track energy, the contrast between the more midrangey bass in the verses and the more rich sounding bass in the verses drives the track (the bassist here is definitely not a rule #2 bass player Big Grin) So for my second revision I added and octaver and some distortion to the chorus bass to fill it out more.

Cheers,
Doug

(10-10-2017, 12:29 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Thanks man! [...]

Just out of curiosity, the bass seems to have some type of octaver or sub bass synthesizer in it during the choruses? If there's that type processing, would love to know the name of the processor. Sounds very good and consistent. ^_^
(10-10-2017, 01:51 AM)kapu Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 12:29 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Thanks man! [...]

Just out of curiosity, the bass seems to have some type of octaver or sub bass synthesizer in it during the choruses? If there's that type processing, would love to know the name of the processor. Sounds very good and consistent. ^_^

It's Waves SoundShifter Pitch lol, literally it's just a pitch shifter set to pitch down an octave and blended into the dry signal on a send. It also allows you to adjust the tracking based on the source so it sounds more "natural", not sure how much it is (I had alot of plugins given to me by a friend a while back) but most any pitch shifter will do the job fine, also using a limiter on that pitch shifter track helps to keep it from peaking out too much.