Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get Fooled
After a long layoff, what a great song to stumble on upon. It never ceases to amaze me that Mike (...and a big Thanks to you, Mike) gets this great supply of stuff for poor saps like me to indulge childhood mixing fantasies on. I found this a difficult mix to work on.....there's a mention in another thread that Woodfire songs need more dynamics. I haven't had a go at any of their others yet, but I did find the dynamics on the guitars (and the bass in parts!) hard......and I sort of struggled a bit. I wanted to get some sort of separation with the guitars but ended going with a kind of washed-into-a-mush-because-I-don't-know-what-I-am-doing type of sound. As usual I think I lost the drums in the mix a bit too......I just can't quite seem to master drums....not that I have mastered anything else much! But drums seem to cause me special pain.

Anyway, all comments and suggestions are most welcome.

.mp3    get fooled.mp3 --  (Download: 10.89 MB)

It's a fine mix. This is a really eclectic sounding band and I think there's a lot of room for interpretations of sounds. It is a bit washy but not in a bad way. The drums work. I can hear the kick and snare just fine. Again the cymbals are washy but that's partially how they're played.

Overall it works well. It's pleasant to listen to, especially for a song that has so much cymbal work going on. The frequency balance is good. At least listening on earbuds.

Good Job.
Thanks Roy!