Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Jamie Kent: 'All-American Mutt'
Hello good people of the planet,

I'm holidaying at the beach for the school holidays and thought I would take a multitrack with me to have a play with. Armed with my MacBook, headphones and BT speaker, I thought this would be a great track to work with. I always enjoy the live Telefunken recordings, they seem to have that lovely glued performance feel to them.

I don't normally mix on the laptop so I kept my approach limited. That being said, I feel I'm fairly happy with the mix so far, although I'm sure there will be issues with the bottom end which I have tried to balance with the BT speaker, headphones and graphical representation.

Hopefully this has uploaded ok. I'm literately hanging out of a tree trying to get enough mobile reception for this to work. You've got to love Australia's mobile coverage. Drive 10 mins away from a populous centre and you're back in the dark ages.

Thanks to all parties and thanks for listening.

Dave.

Update 01/10/17

Mix#2 Uploaded.
Some adjustments based on Mixinthecloud and Simons Feedback before heading home. I have added some master bus compression to help with drive and intensity. Also some sonic sweetening of the snare and a cut to the bass @ around 1k. So... hopefully it's an improvement. Overall I think I was relying too much on pleasing the MacBook speakers for my final balance, thus the subdued result. Well, at least with the snare anyway. Thanks again good people.Big Grin

.mp3    Jamie Kent - All American Mutt_Dangerous#1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

.mp3    Jamie Kent - All American Mutt_Dangerous#2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.56 MB)

There is always something to be said for simplicity, like hanging out on the beach. I'd say this is a pretty good beach mix! Good balance and very listenable. It does seem a little bit subdued though. Not sure how to translate that into a technical comment. I'd say enjoy your holiday and nice job.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey Dave, hope you're enjoying your break mate.

Overall a really nice mix. As usual with your work, many of the balances are spot on and very tasteful.

I know what MITC means though. For me the intro and verse 1 feel slightly subdued. The bass level is maybe a bit high and a bit overbalanced in the mid range (500-1500hz). This kinda kills the low end but also seems to add congestion to the lower vocal frequencies during the verses.

I'd also say that bass itself is out of balance with and dominates the drums, not massively but enough to notice, which is probably why it feels a bit subdued, as we're missing that percussive drive.

I suspect it has a lot to do with you being out of your studio and missing that certainty of setting those low end balances. Again, really good work overall.

cheers,

Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(06-10-2017, 03:46 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: There is always something to be said for simplicity, like hanging out on the beach. I'd say this is a pretty good beach mix! Good balance and very listenable. It does seem a little bit subdued though. Not sure how to translate that into a technical comment. I'd say enjoy your holiday and nice job.

Thanks, It could be the lack of master bus processing as I don't have any of my usual plugins for the task. Also I find with headphones I tend to focus too much on the details and not the bricks and morter so much, which I'm trying to work around.

Maybe it's just my subdued mood at the moment.Cool
(07-10-2017, 01:54 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Hey Dave, hope you're enjoying your break mate.

Overall a really nice mix. As usual with your work, many of the balances are spot on and very tasteful.

I know what MITC means though. For me the intro and verse 1 feel slightly subdued. The bass level is maybe a bit high and a bit overbalanced in the mid range (500-1500hz). This kinda kills the low end but also seems to add congestion to the lower vocal frequencies during the verses.

I'd also say that bass itself is out of balance with and dominates the drums, not massively but enough to notice, which is probably why it feels a bit subdued, as we're missing that percussive drive.

I suspect it has a lot to do with you being out of your studio and missing that certainty of setting those low end balances. Again, really good work overall.

cheers,

Simon

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Simon. I'm keen to listen to it back in the studio when I get home and hear what it sounds like. The bass area did have me concerned and without having any close reference material with me, I didn't really know how it would sit overall tonally. It's whether I can do anything with it or whether I should start again. I'm afraid I might start tinkering with it too much working in my more familiar environment and stuff it up completely. It's happened before.Tongue

Thanks again.

Hi Dave sorry for the late reply ,
Nice solid mix .listening on headphones the bass and kick maybe a touch full below 40hz .

cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(04-11-2017, 12:58 PM)thedon Wrote: Hi Dave sorry for the late reply ,
Nice solid mix .listening on headphones the bass and kick maybe a touch full below 40hz .

cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don, I'm not sure I can hear much at 40Hz, but my dog leaves the room every time I play the song, and now I know why. LOL. Thanks for the heads up.Big Grin
Mix 2 is perfect!

Cheers, LukasAngel
(07-11-2017, 08:34 AM)LukasL Wrote: Mix 2 is perfect!

Cheers, LukasAngel

Thank you Lukas, very much appreciated!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Hi Dave mate mix 2 for me excellent.