Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jamie Kent - All American Mutt - Take 3
(08-10-2017, 06:28 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: For me, the clarified version of your mix has the opposite problem of Kapu's mix, it's nice and open during the verses but the choruses don't seem to push. It's too "pretty" for a track about "an all american mutt", it needs some dirt to kick up during the choruses for some punch and contrast. I also noticed that the toms seem to be rather hollow sounding, it seems like a panning thing (I just left my toms up the middle). It's strange, the mix is technically sound and correct but it doesn't seem "right" and seems like it's missing some grit, my best analogy is a country boy who was forced to wear a business suit and work in a office. It's a minor thing but overall it can make a good mix great.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug

I think kapu had a pretty good approach to the choruses with splitting the track for those parts, each with separate EQ. I had pondered that approach but just through automation. I think kapu's approach may be better because not only does eq and level change but compression characters may as well. Hopefully that will grind some country into the businessman's boots! As for the toms, they are more sound effects, especially in the intro as a lead-in to the bass figure. Probably a hundred different ways to approach that. It was an organically obtained sound.
Another thing about the choruses. I tried to put the emphasis on the thickness there towards to vocals simply because I want to get listeners to sing there. I do believe a fatter bottom would fill the lower spectrum of that space and add push, as you say. Good ear and great advice. If my girlfriend won't kill me, I'll try the kapu approach!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(07-10-2017, 11:32 PM)kapu Wrote:
(07-10-2017, 06:05 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Doesn't that describe [...]

Yes. I meant you usually deliver very lively and natural mixes, but for me the first one was my favourite. The only major difference I can hear is the first one had some reverb in bass, and for me it kind of filled the 'mud space', although it might have been too much, but the latter feels it now has gap there thus making the sound feel a bit 'incomplete' / over eqd / missing something. By nitpicking I meant it's not a real issue, but something that caught my ear. Both are good sounding mixes. ^_^

This is why I had asked you about how you treated the bass between verse and chorus. You filled that bottom end better and I wanted to cop it! I intend on trying your approach during the choruses, if my girlfriend doesn't kill me first. Thanks for the great input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(05-10-2017, 02:05 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: It feels pretty good overall. There does feel like there's a somewhat constant tone (at least at the top) in the lower mids. I want to say is a sympathetic resonance in toms. It comes and goes but it seems like it's something that could be notched out.

The center of the stereo image gets a little cramped. Especially during the chorus sections. Things kind of get masked when there's a few instruments playing at once.

That's everything I noticed. Tonally and balance wise it feels right.

Roy,
If you get a chance, please lend an ear to the Clarified mix. I am especially interested in how it sounds in ear buds. I mix primarily on desktop speakers and modest open head phones, then playback on car and home audio systems. I do not have ear buds I can trust.

Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Clarified mix def my favourite well done.