Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I am - mix by Olli H
Modern country music has never been my music, although old country is one of my favorites. But this was fun to do.

I decided to try a modern sound for this one. I used as a reference Allison Krauss "Paper Airplane" CD. Maybe for that reason the drums didn't get so prominent role in my mix. I mainly tried to study how the string instruments (dobro, banjo, mandolin, violin, guitars) blend together in her records. So this mix was more like reverb-rehearsal for me. (I only use cheap Valhalla reverbs, but the are very good.)

Otherwise I didn't do that much. Just hi-pass filters, and little EQ. And just 1-3 dB compression in some instruments.

EDIT: new version added after 2 years break

.mp3    2013-07-16-who-i-am-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 6.95 MB)

.mp3    uncle-dad-who-i-am-2015-11-27-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 6.9 MB)

Very good sounding mix this.Good work yet again.
Nice mix Olli. well done
Very cleand and clear mix, I like it ! And who cares what kind a reverb it is, as long as it does the job. I think the drums are ok lvl, good job !
I often find that the less I do the better it sounds :-)
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(16-07-2013, 04:08 PM)Voelund Wrote: Very cleand and clear mix, I like it ! And who cares what kind a reverb it is, as long as it does the job. I think the drums are ok lvl, good job !
I often find that the less I do the better it sounds :-)
THanks
I agree totally with the last line. When I start to mix a new song, I always do a quick 15-30 min mix where I just make quick balance and maybe hi-pass something. And later when I've spent 4 hours with my "real" mix, I find my first mix sounds more natural than the one where I used too much my brains. If I start to tweak away every flaw I hear, I usually end up with lifeless and colorless and boring sound.

(16-07-2013, 01:27 PM)Olli H Wrote: Modern country music has never been my music, although old country is one of my favorites. But this was fun to do.

I decided to try a modern sound for this one. I used as a reference Allison Krauss "Paper Airplane" CD. Maybe for that reason the drums didn't get so prominent role in my mix. I mainly tried to study how the string instruments (dobro, banjo, mandolin, violin, guitars) blend together in her records. So this mix was more like reverb-rehearsal for me. (I only use cheap Valhalla reverbs, but the are very good.)

Otherwise I didn't do that much. Just hi-pass filters, and little EQ. And just 1-3 dB compression in some instruments.

good job man dose matter what reverb you pulled it off should of conpared it to allen jackson while mixing you would be in nashville mixing
(16-07-2013, 01:27 PM)Olli H Wrote: Modern country music has never been my music, although old country is one of my favorites. But this was fun to do.

Now THIS is what *I* call a mix! Love it! Big Grin

My only recommendations would be to apply a little low-end boost to the bass; it could use a little presence. Also, I'd dial the lead vocal down a dB (not the backing vocal; it's fine where it is) and dial back on the vocal reverb a little, too.

Oh, and per your own comment, I might bring the drums up a dB or two. Wink

Other than that, I just LOVE this mix. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(16-07-2013, 04:08 PM)Voelund Wrote: I often find that the less I do the better it sounds :-)

Well said; that is the guiding principle of my own work. Wink
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
Thanks for good comments.