Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.2 Average
Jamie Kent: 'All-American Mutt' kapu mix
(09-10-2017, 06:50 PM)kapu Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 06:18 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Gee. Only 4? [...]

Yep. Only some eq on individual drum tracks. Now parallel and two mild serial comps and tape saturation on the on the drum bus. Individual drum tracks sounded nice for me so not much processing there.

Is that a common practice, to use so many dynamic processors on a single buss. I always have two + a de-esser in my vocal chain. As these are doing something specific to a single instrument I am just trying to fathom how that would work on a multi-insturment buss like the drums. I will often buss my toms if necessary for stereo compression of those but that is a discreet instrument among the drums. I guess you could easily put mono dynamics on every instrument and multi, stereo compressors on the buss. Where does it STOP? LOL. Do you have channel templates you recall into each of your channels or do you build them on the fly?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-10-2017, 10:11 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Is that a common [...]

Can't say if it's common or not. In this case with the drums I started by messing with the levels. Then applied a ridiculous compression to the bus (GR between 10 and 20 dBs, relatively fast attack and release) so that it really smashed it. Then blended dry signal back in to make it sound ok. This brings up all the mess and details etc, and then applied some broad eq to bus, and further eq tweaks with individual drum tracks. added subtle gating to kick. Then added two much more easier and slower comps to bus. Finally added tape saturation to bake things together. Overly simplified. Basically same workflow for all elements. I dont really use presets, as I always basically dial 2 types of comp settings: fast and hard or slow and gentle. ^_^
(10-10-2017, 02:02 AM)kapu Wrote:
(09-10-2017, 10:11 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Is that a common [...]

Can't say if it's common or not. ^_^

That makes sense.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi everyone
Im new to this and trying to learn as much as i can.
Please comment with advise or anything.
B

.mp3    all american mutt mixed by Bertus Bosman.mp3 --  (Download: 5.59 MB)

(19-10-2017, 09:39 AM)[email protected] Wrote: Hi everyone [...]

Hmm... Some thoughts. The electric guitar could go down a bit? The snare seems to have a sample backing it up in the beginning, but then disappears almost completely. The attack on the drum (bus?) compression could be longer. Bass, vocals and acoustic guitar sound very good. ^_^
I really appreciate the comments. We can only learn from each other. Im a guitarist maby thats why in my ears tje electric should be louder.....sorry..... Hehe. Let me improve on this track and resend it to you again. Thank you so much
(20-10-2017, 06:53 AM)[email protected] Wrote: I really appreciate [...]

You're welcome. ^_^