Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siren - my mix
(29-01-2014, 02:05 AM)Voelund Wrote: The sound is big and very impressive in headphones. Bas n drum sounds great.
Only wish you would hit mute on the elgtr track 2. It plays major chords while rest play minor.
Enjoyd the sound a lot but I cant listen to that chord Big Grin

You could consider savin a dB or two for chorus to make it bigger, if you find it necessary.
I enjoyd the great tone of bas.

Hi Voelund, thanks for the feedback Smile Yeah i was going for a big warm pop sound like say, Texas or someone like that. I never check mixes on headphones so i'm real glad it comes across well. It's funny, i did notice that there was a slight dissonance in the guitars but it never bothered me enough to investigate it - i think i just got used to it and it's become part of the sound now. Cheers for listening Smile

If i make a comment on your mix i would be very grateful if you said something about mine - all discussion leads to increasing all our knowledge! thanks lovely people :)
(29-01-2014, 03:16 AM)pauli Wrote: sounds great! have you considered gating the bass to reduce the note sustain? I like how well I can hear those sharp arpeggiated synths I struggled with that.

Cheers Big Grin I actually did use a transient plugin to reduce the sustain of the bass guitar and i also sidechained the kick to the bass to get the bass out the way by a few dB. It sounds about right to me as the bass is extremely important in this - it provides all the drive and a lot of the warmth in the track i feel - i wanted it to be as present as possible without overpowering other things. I really enjoyed mixing this - and by that i also mean the challenge - i don't think i removed anything from the original multitrack as i wanted to see if could get all those tracks working together to provide that big wide pop sound. The arpeggiated synths were eq'ed, compressed and run through some saturation plugins to get them to slot in where i wanted them in the mix (iirc).

If i make a comment on your mix i would be very grateful if you said something about mine - all discussion leads to increasing all our knowledge! thanks lovely people :)
So many have commented on your mix so I just had to take a listen after finishing my own mix.
Great balance! Great vocal sound during the verse. I find the vocals a little too wide in the chorus, but many of you have mixed it that way, so maybe It's just me ;-)

- sgtpetter

My mix is here if you want to take a listen: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=5719
Nice balanced mix here. Everything sounds very natural.

Only thing I noticed is the dynamic of the mix is a little on the stale side. The energy could use a pick up in the chorus'. You could consider riding the master fader up a tiny bit in the chorus, or just bring the verse' down a bit so the chorus' bring the energy up.

Nice mix...I enjoyed listening to this one a lot! Great balance.
Very nice job!