Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
If You Say-Roy Mix
16-09-2017, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 17-09-2017 06:36 PM by RoyMatthews.)
If You Say-Roy Mix
Here's my attempt at If You Say. I think it's a pretty straight forward. I think it wound up being a little compressed but as I'm hearing it right now I'm kind of ok with it. I'm not happy with the acoustic but I think it's ok. Feel free to comment.

Thanks.

EDIT: Added a new mix (Mix03) - Hopefully the low end is a little better.

.mp3   James May-If You Say-Mix02.mp3 --  (Download: 7.98 MB)

.mp3   James May-If You Say-Mix03.mp3 --  (Download: 7.98 MB)

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2017, 09:41 AM
RE: If You Say-Roy Mix
Hi Roy,

Yeah probably a little too compressed overall, for my ears anyway. There are some serious subsonic frequencies going on also which is overpowering the song in parts. Is it a kick drum or something else? My monitors are trying to walk off their stands. An earbud failing I guess.Smile I Haven't attempted this track, but it does sound challenging. As are most of James' tracks. I always seem to fall short.

Dave
17-09-2017, 01:31 PM
Thanks Dave. I'll take another look at this one at some point. As far as the low end I'm not sure what might be the culprit but it's probably the kick. Maybe the bass. Everything else should have been hi passed. It's interesting because I don't try to add any low-end to a track because, frankly, I can't hear it. It'll be interesting to see where the problems are.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
17-09-2017, 05:41 PM
Nice mix but I agree with Roy. It almost sounds like there a L2 or an exciter hitting pretty hard on the stereo bus. It's pretty bright.
17-09-2017, 06:36 PM
Added a new mix (03) to the original post.

23-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Mix 03 is much nicer on the ears.Big Grin It seems to be the kick that has a thunderous tail on it. You have cleaned it up in mix03, but maybe too much so. It's lost some of it's impact and the atmospheric effect it has on the song is now missing. A tough one to get right!
23-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Ha. Make up your mid Dave! Yeah, I may have gone too far in the other direction but I think on a song like this it can be a little lighter. Oh well, live and learn.

24-09-2017, 10:09 PM
(23-09-2017 02:28 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote:  Ha. Make up your mid Dave! Yeah, I may have gone too far in the other direction but I think on a song like this it can be a little lighter. Oh well, live and learn.

Yeah, sorry about that. It doesn't help that the first comment was based on listening with my monitors and the second with headphones on. My bad.
24-09-2017, 10:11 PM
It’s fine. They were different mixes anyway.

Support my video work!
Advertisement: