Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix of the english actor
Hey guys,

I am a live sound engineer but i wanted to make myself more comfortable with Logic Pro X. So i've got myself the software and started with mixing the english actor.

In one afternoon i mixed the song and i think i made a pretty good sounding mix. There are some things i am not satisfied about yet, but i will work on that. Some things that i want to work on:

- I think the snare sounds pretty good but it isn't really consistent. I did put a compressor on it but it doesn't seem to work good enough.
- Maybe some other effects on (backing) vocals.
- I think the guitars can do better. The volume is good in my opinion but i think the defenition can be better. Maybe some EQ boost in the high end.

Things i like about the mix:
- The drum (and bass) sound. I think my drum sound is pretty fat but with enough defenition and works well with the bass guitar.
- The overall balance is quite good and consistent.

I listened to other mixes in this zone. It came to my attention that my mix sounds much more "fat" (especially the drums) than the other mixes. I really like that, but maybe thats because i am a live sound engineer and this is too much fatness for a studio mix. Oh, and i mixed this on a Sennheiser HD25 headphones. Maybe i have to listen to it on a good pair of studio monitor but that isn't possible at the moment.

Whats your opinion about my mix?

.mp3    Project 9.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)

Ok, i worked a little bit more on my mix. I think i've improved some things. Things i've done:

- Work more on the drum mix. Made a midi track of the snare drum and inserted a snare drum from Logic on it. This helped a lot for a more consistent snare drum.
Did a little bit more precise EQ'ing on all the drum channels (toms are brighter).
Did all the levels again so they are correct in the new situation (also a little bit more of the room mic for a more wide drum sound)

- Checked the levels of all the synths so they are more balanced

- Added a few dB's of 5Khz in the guitars. This made them more in front in the mix

- Added some extra effects on the backing vocals

- Checked the overall balance

Please tell me your opinion and maybe some tips for improvement

.mp3    Project 9 edited.mp3 --  (Download: 7.86 MB)