Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Queen's Light
Had fun with this one. Thanks Dino on the Loose!

- Bass has been - virtually - reamped (Nomad's Factory's Rock Ampli Legend - All the mix is ITB). A comp on the DI track, a pre-FX send thru the Amped track, and two other comps on the bass Subgroup: One for a parallel compression (with more dry than highly compressed wet signal), and another for the side-chain Kick.
- Added saturation in parallel for the guitar.
- A filter on the synth mono track for the interlude, who act a bit like an autopan... Ask Mario ^^
- A dotted eight's darken delay for the Hammond.
- For the rhythm track on Rhodes I inserted chorus and phaser in parallel. For the solo track, only comp and eq (4 dB cut around 500 Hz, and a + 3 dB HPF since 500 Hz equally)
- Little automation, most on volume and pan, and on sends and returns FXs.
- Pasted again a part of the cowbell track for the end... cause I loved it!

- Along time I play with the gain of a tilter eq (centered 440 Hz) on bass, so I wonder if the tune is well balanced all time long...
- No samples added. I tried to deal with the OH cymbals true a nearly subtle distortion. But effectively there's no more ride in the mix...
- I'm not so satisfied with my Kick sound. If too much isolated from the snare there's no more punch in it, the sort you could reveal usually around 5kHz...
- Trying to add depth with four aux channels, but sometime (it look to me) too obvious, sometime not at all...
- As I had no overload and comparing with other mixes here, finally put a generous 8 dB gain on the master's limiter, with a 1.5 ms Lookahead time, unlinking the transients (FabFilter Pro-L) for (it seems to me) more contrast between shaker and hi-hat.

The host is Cockos Reaper. Happy to share project if wanted...
Funny tune indeed. Cheers Dino!
And about this mix any comment is welcome! Have a good day!
Regards,
Dominique.

.mp3    DinoOnTheLoose_QueensLight.mp3 --  (Download: 9.25 MB)

New version...

- Edited the bass line for more precision.
- Add a cymbal layer as Mike's advice.
- Kick is now gated.

What do you think of that mix?
Cheers... Smile

.mp3    DinoOnTheLoose_QueensLight_v1.3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.11 MB)