Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning bridges mix
Hello, this is my second mix, hope to receive some suggestions and feedback.

Thanks for listening!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: i remade it ! I hope to gather other suggestions!
Thanks again for listening !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: another version with the new suggestions !

.mp3    Burning Bridges.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

.mp3    Burning Bridges 2 ver.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

Hi!

Vocals have way too much reverb and are too loud, snare sounds boxy, try cutting somewhere around 300-500Hz, bass could use some more low end and less mids as it sounds bulgy and congests the mix now.

Always be careful with reverbs. You could try the reverb on an aux track... send vocals there, high and low pass the sent signal before it hits the reverb and then set the aux's volume to taste, so it blends nicely with the mix.

Have fun, never give up! :)
(12-09-2017, 09:55 PM)jaykay Wrote: Hi!

Vocals have way too much reverb and are too loud, snare sounds boxy, try cutting somewhere around 300-500Hz, bass could use some more low end and less mids as it sounds bulgy and congests the mix now.

Always be careful with reverbs. You could try the reverb on an aux track... send vocals there, high and low pass the sent signal before it hits the reverb and then set the aux's volume to taste, so it blends nicely with the mix.

Have fun, never give up! Smile

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions i really apreciated ! I'll try asap and post again !

Btw i used an aux track for rever but i high passed end lowpassed after and not before i'll try in this way
Eq before the reverb will probably make only a subtle difference... try which one you like better.

Another thing you could try is putting a compressor as the last fx in your aux chain and then sidechain the vocal track into the compressor (in addition to the actual vocal track going through the chain normally). Set the threshold and release so that the loudest parts of the vocals push down the reverb and the reverb only comes as a tail.

Works nicely with guitar lead delays too. Smile
Often used to duck the bass when the kick drum hits.

You might be familiar with the technique already:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducking
(13-09-2017, 12:06 PM)jaykay Wrote: Eq before the reverb will probably make only a subtle difference... try which one you like better.

Another thing you could try is putting a compressor as the last fx in your aux chain and then sidechain the vocal track into the compressor (in addition to the actual vocal track going through the chain normally). Set the threshold and release so that the loudest parts of the vocals push down the reverb and the reverb only comes as a tail.

Works nicely with guitar lead delays too. Smile
Often used to duck the bass when the kick drum hits.

You might be familiar with the technique already:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducking

That is a cool suggestion i'll try for sure thank you so much i really apreciate !
I edited the post and uploaded a new version i hope it's improved
I like it overall. Things that I don't like: The vocals are tood loud in the screamo part and the reverb style is not the best choice for this song/genre. I rarely hear very loud chamber/mid sized vocal reverbs in modern metal production, it just doesnt't fit very well and sounds too distracting. The 2nd solo is not loud enough, the choir is there to support the lead guitar, not to push it in the background. I don't know why so many people go full Manowar with the choir in the solo part. It's not really adding anything.
(04-04-2018, 01:18 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I like it overall. Things that I don't like: The vocals are tood loud in the screamo part and the reverb style is not the best choice for this song/genre. I rarely hear very loud chamber/mid sized vocal reverbs in modern metal production, it just doesnt't fit very well and sounds too distracting. The 2nd solo is not loud enough, the choir is there to support the lead guitar, not to push it in the background. I don't know why so many people go full Manowar with the choir in the solo part. It's not really adding anything.

Thank you very much for your suggestions ! If memory serves you are the guitarist aren't you ?

Btw aside my mix this song is so cool i love it !

I'll try to apply your suggestions and post again as soon as possible !

Thanks again !
Ok i tried to apply your suggestions !

Hope to gather other feedbacks!

Thanks a lot!