Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Sea Of Leaves - Mix (first mix with "real" instruments)
This is my first try at mixing recorded real instruments and vocals. I had quite a hard time working on the drums and vocals. I am now quite satisfied with the outcome but would appreciate any hints and tips for improvement.

This was done in Harisson Mixbus 32C on Linux, if that matters.

.mp3    JokersJacksKings_SeaOfLeaves_Mix_lentferj.mp3 --  (Download: 5.88 MB)

Hi - Wow, big guitars in your mix... A few balance issues though:

The bass and drums are very much being overpowered by the vocals and guitars. Try doing the "whisper test" on your mix - Turn down your monitors to just above the noise floor of your environment, and notice what stays audible as you turn the mix down to nothing. I think you'll find, at that point, all you'll hear is the vocals, the guitars, the kick drum, and a tiny "tick" from the snare.

The bass simply needs more volume, but the drums are suffering from the compression release time being too slow, causing only the transient and none of the sustain of the drums to come through. Try experimenting with the release times on the drum, and maybe speed up the attack a little bit too. There is a point where you get a nice snap, but it is balanced with the full-bodied sustain of the drum coming through as well, giving the drums more 'size' in the mix.

The vocal is being pushed back into the soundstage behind the other instruments by the reverb. Try adjusting the pre-delay on your reverb to anything from about 80-120ms and notice how it brings the vocal forward, yet still gives a sense of space.

Hope that helps!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thank you very much for the review and your valuable input. After uploading my first version I still kept working on this and now also tried to incorporate your input. This is the result. I would be happy if you could take the time (again) and let me know your impression - and everybody else's of course, too. Thanks in advance.

.mp3    MIX-JokersJacksKings_session_20171009_1921.mp3 --  (Download: 6.13 MB)

(09-10-2017, 06:30 PM)lentferj Wrote: Thank you very much for the review and your valuable input. After uploading my first version I still kept working on this and now also tried to incorporate your input. This is the result. I would be happy if you could take the time (again) and let me know your impression - and everybody else's of course, too. Thanks in advance.

Hi Big improvement with the levels, so that's a positive step...

However, there is a real overall eq problem with a big buildup happening in the 200-800hz area, especially centred around 400-500hz. This makes the mix sound "boxy" and congested. The best way to remedy the issue is to look at the individual elements...

Because they are close mic'd. bass, drums, and guitars tend to have an unnatural buildup in this area, caused by the proximity effect. When you get a number of elements all prominent in these frequencies, you get a big overlapping buildup which makes the mix sound indistinct and lacking in clarity. Once you get a handle on firstly finding, then clearing out those frequencies causing the buildup, you'll find the mix will "open up".

Here's a good primer on eq. from Sound On Sound mag: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/...essentials
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases