Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Dunning Kruger - EnDance (Peter)
Hello, this is my first mix here.

Compared to the other mixes of Dunning Kruger I heard, maybe less bottom end, but this allowed me to bring up the bass guitar a bit more to sound more like eg. Editors or Bloc Party! Smile
Quite some compression and limiting on the bass guitar because the original went up and down in volume.

Kick, snare and toms where 50/50 replaced with samples, providing a more modern sound.

For the guitars, I just used HPF and LPF and made a nice blend between them.

Vocals are quite prominent with lots of saturation and delay.

Very nice songs! Thanks to the band for making their multitrack available.

Peter.

.mp3    DunningKruger MASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 4.52 MB)

Like you mentioned your mix sounds like it has too little bottom end on it. The bass comes through nicely but the mix sounds a bit weak for it.

The cymbals are a bit too toppy and harsh for my liking.

Overall the levels are well balanced and a nice clean sounding mix. Great job !
Crumbs -- this really is a roudy version! Loving the general ragged and noisy attitude, with that funky verse-vocal delay, and you seem to have managed the long-term transitions pretty well too (although does the 2:18-2:29 section overshadow the onset of the final chorus?). The main criticism for me, though, is that I think you've fallen into the trap of saturating the 2-6kHz region with all the instruments, so the overall tonality gets quite abrasive on the ear. Almost everything will sound better in solo with a boost in that region, but there's never room in a single mix for everything to be strong there.

I like a lot of the balancing decisions otherwise, though, and there's a nice sense of width, without the mono-compatibility suffering too much. As such, it makes the transition to an Auratone rather nicely, which is always a good sign.

I think I would agree that you've probably under-egged the bass here, as you suggest, but a few EQ adjustments should be enough to sort that out, I'd have thought, given how well the balance works in general.

Hope all that helps a bit!
Thanks for the suggestions, Mike and Sano! Smile

Peter.
hi peter i think that the bass heve low end it jast dont work with the bass drum the bd dont have low end and they are apart.
i think like mike the balance is good.
nice uzi.