Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My first mix
Hello ! this is my first post! I am a beginner, it's just less than 4 months that i started to experiment with mixes. Surely this isn't the best mix you are going to listen here Big Grin but i hope to receive any suggestions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: i uploaded a new version (v2) i hope it is improved

.mp3    Suit You.mp3 --  (Download: 10.36 MB)

.mp3    Suit You 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

Hi,
for me doesn't sound so bad! But...
Do you use a time stretch? because it seems slower than the original track Big Grin
Importing your mix in my DAW I notice that you put a limiter or with a ceiling at -2db, comercial tracks are usually set between -0.1db and -0.5db, say that, talking about dynamic range, maybe your track sounds too louder, I get -6 LUFS.

Cheers
Rob

That's really not too a bad a start at all for a beginner. Just before you start developing some bad habits, may I suggest not driving the mix buss too hard and then slamming a 'maximizer' on the output buss to compound the problem? The maximiser will indeed get you 'loudness' - but it will also add unwanted granularity / grit / distortion to your mix and make it sound 'brittle'. It's the cumulative effect of smaller [subtle] mix decisions that will make the biggest differences as the various signals find their way though the mix buss to the master buss input. Try to get the mix as clear and dynamic as possible before putting anything on the master buss. I've a hunch that what's 'on' the master buss is the main issue here. I wouldn't be too concerned about arriving at defined broadcast loudness level standards at the moment; just start at the start and get the clarity and dynamics worked out first and you'll be well on your way to better sounding mixes. Hope this helps a bit.
Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on your first mix!

From a balance point of view, some elements work really well e.g. guitars in general, bass, kick and vox all seem to compliment each-other. Well done on that as these are crucial elements of mix building.

Elements that seem not quite so balanced are the piano levels being a bit hot, especially in the bridge and the snare tone and level which is very thin, papery and low.

The biggest problem you have are your levels......A master level of -6.5 LUFS and a dynamic range of only 5. That's 5-6 LUFS louder than spotify/apple music streams at so you're leaving 6dB of dynamic range in the tank for no good reason...

my biggest suggestions for you are;

1. Educate yourself on how to gain stage your individual tracks in your DAW so that your peak mix buss levels are around -5dBFS MAX with your RMS levels around -15dBFS. You can then boost your mix buss level after you have finished your mix.
2. How/when and IF to use compression.
3. How to set final master levels including how to use a LIMITER properly. I'd recommend levels of around -12dBFS RMS/-12 LUFS....maybe up to -10 for some genres.
4. Get to grips with the units of measurement e.g. dBFS, dBVU, LUFS, RMS. They are all different and engineers bandy them about alot (like i have Big Grin).

All this is readily available online but a range of answers exist (Mike's book "Mixing Secrets" is excellent). Good luck.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Thanks so much for you all your replies ! I'll take care of your suggestions and im going to upload a new version ASAP
I uploaded a new version plz give me your feedback
Quite a lot of improvement!

The mix sounds pretty clean and smooth now. Bass is a bit uncontrolled and loud. Could use a bit more top end. I would suggest panning the Kick, Snare, Bass and Voice always dead center. Snare now sounds natural and nice. Toms could use a more bright and open sound.

Cheers,
LukasAngel
(16-05-2018, 04:44 PM)LukasL Wrote: Quite a lot of improvement!

The mix sounds pretty clean and smooth now. Bass is a bit uncontrolled and loud. Could use a bit more top end. I would suggest panning the Kick, Snare, Bass and Voice always dead center. Snare now sounds natural and nice. Toms could use a more bright and open sound.

Cheers,
LukasAngel

Thank you very much , consider that kick snare and bass and vocals are dead center.

I'll work on Bass and Toms and put a thrid version!

Thank you for your suggestions ! Big Grin