Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Carol Dant_Do Not Stand_mix Tommy Marcinek
AngelHuhBlush

Okay! This song was interesting. It's kind of spooky. I wanted to do this because it had so few tracks and I thought that THAT, in and of itself, would be a nice challenge for mixing purposes. As it turns out, I was right since the drum loop was very low resolution so it needed some help. I added some samples to it, a couple of cymbals blended in low and some effects to make it pop out and be full, punchy and kinda shine a bit! Everything else was just fun!!!!! The song grows on you too....I like it now!

Comments always welcomed, of course.

Peace,

Tom

.mp3    DoNotStand_6_M.mp3 --  (Download: 7.15 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Hi Tommy,

Overall a cool sounding mix, the chorusing/widening on the vocals is a nice touch and makes it feel like you're being surrounded by the vocals. The extra samples were a good move from a technical point, however the point of the loop is for it to be dirty and cold sounding while the choir, bass, and rhodes provide the warmer sounds, a contrast.

If you keep the extra samples in for the whole mix it loses the natural build of the piece, it's just big all the way through and this track needs to build right to the end, notice how sparce the intro is and how the instruments start to get more dense as the track goes on. make one thing bigger in the intro and it takes away from the end. I would introduce those samples in at a later point in the piece, more towards the end. The vocal effect could use the same kind of approach, keep the intro dry, add the delays in during the first section of edited vocal, and the rest of the way use the chorus.

In my mix I added in some programmed drums towards the final section of the track in an effort to add some drama at the closing section, and a shaker a little after the drums and vocals drop out to give a tighter resolve. This track is a great musical sandbox because of the low track count, so the mixes of this track should be really cool to hear because of how many places you can take the arrangement.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(07-09-2017, 12:50 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Hi Tommy,

Overall a cool sounding mix, the chorusing/widening on the vocals is a nice touch and makes it feel like you're being surrounded by the vocals. The extra samples were a good move from a technical point, however the point of the loop is for it to be dirty and cold sounding while the choir, bass, and rhodes provide the warmer sounds, a contrast.

If you keep the extra samples in for the whole mix it loses the natural build of the piece, it's just big all the way through and this track needs to build right to the end, notice how sparce the intro is and how the instruments start to get more dense as the track goes on. make one thing bigger in the intro and it takes away from the end. I would introduce those samples in at a later point in the piece, more towards the end. The vocal effect could use the same kind of approach, keep the intro dry, add the delays in during the first section of edited vocal, and the rest of the way use the chorus.

In my mix I added in some programmed drums towards the final section of the track in an effort to add some drama at the closing section, and a shaker a little after the drums and vocals drop out to give a tighter resolve. This track is a great musical sandbox because of the low track count, so the mixes of this track should be really cool to hear because of how many places you can take the arrangement.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug

------------------
Doug, thanks for the overall positive comments. My take on it is this: The drum loop was constant throughout (except for the break in the middle) but the quality was just not there. I really don't think it was the intention of the artist that the track be so decimated and in mono like that. By my introducing samples and other additions, I kept in the spirit of the original arrangement by keeping the drums with the enhancements exactly the same as the original in terms of arrangement.

I purposely kept the "new" drum sound consistent as was in the original. And, if you notice, the vocal does a lot of work in the beginning section but then she is quite sparse toward the end. So, to contrast what you said, my opinion is that the song does not require a buildup of sounds in the drums, but rather, being true to the song's structure provided by the artist, it cried out for a descending sort of feel, almost a macabre and ghostly thing happening, and then fading into the distance. I felt approaching it that way made the song completely coherent, consistent, and most likely the intended feel the artist was going for. But, again, this is only a guess and I approached it entirely with a "producers" hat, etc.

I thank you again for your input.

Tom

Hi Tom!

So, I am the original mixer of this track (I live with Carol), and I can give you a bit of insight.

While I was mixing, I asked Carol if she would mind adding drum samples to her loop. She liked the idea, so I added them. The drums you hear in the original mix is layered with kick, snare and cymbal samples as well. I purposefully left the layered tracks out of the files. I felt like that was my bit of production for the mix, but I wanted to see if anyone else would do the same thing. (I sent the loop to three different tracks, filtered out all but the fundamental frequency of the individual drums I was going to trigger, sent that to a gate and triggered the sample off of the gate)

As stated, this is very much an open sandbox type of song that can go in many different directions. (The original Vox track was only on the beginning "verse").

I like what you've done, and the feel of the track is definitely cool. Maybe just a touch less high from the kick, but that is totally a taste judgement.

Nice work!
Draper
(14-09-2017, 03:09 PM)loweche6 Wrote: Hi Tom!

So, I am the original mixer of this track (I live with Carol), and I can give you a bit of insight.

While I was mixing, I asked Carol if she would mind adding drum samples to her loop. She liked the idea, so I added them. The drums you hear in the original mix is layered with kick, snare and cymbal samples as well. I purposefully left the layered tracks out of the files. I felt like that was my bit of production for the mix, but I wanted to see if anyone else would do the same thing. (I sent the loop to three different tracks, filtered out all but the fundamental frequency of the individual drums I was going to trigger, sent that to a gate and triggered the sample off of the gate)

As stated, this is very much an open sandbox type of song that can go in many different directions. (The original Vox track was only on the beginning "verse").

I like what you've done, and the feel of the track is definitely cool. Maybe just a touch less high from the kick, but that is totally a taste judgement.

Nice work!
Draper

----------------
Draper,

How cool is it that you not only know Carol (the artist) but that she lives with you! Who knew? Very cool.

Yeah, I really enjoyed mixing this one a lot. I'm appreciative of the info you gave and thanks for the compliment that you like the mix. I uploaded my mix to soundcloud and Carol actually sent me a message saying that she really liked my mix and to keep it up on soundcloud. So, unless you guys tell me to take it down
I'm happy to leave it up for as long as you like. I figure, the more activity on songs in as many venues as possible the more someone's name gets out there, etc. But we are all just like needles in a haystack as there are millions of songs and artists out there. As for me, after having my music on my site for several years with only a few sales, and after much consideration (and a few tears), I just made each and every one of them FREE. I don't know if it's that my music sucks or just that I'm one of those needles in the haystack. LOL!!! Plus, I'm not getting any younger. Besides, mixing has become my joy and desire now. :-)

All the best to you and Carol!!!

Later,
Tom

(06-09-2017, 11:41 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: AngelHuhBlush

Okay! This song was interesting. It's kind of spooky. I wanted to do this because it had so few tracks and I thought that THAT, in and of itself, would be a nice challenge for mixing purposes. As it turns out, I was right since the drum loop was very low resolution so it needed some help. I added some samples to it, a couple of cymbals blended in low and some effects to make it pop out and be full, punchy and kinda shine a bit! Everything else was just fun!!!!! The song grows on you too....I like it now!

Peace,

Tom

I personally really liked the poppy and lush sound you've added to the drum set.
(13-05-2020, 10:48 AM)silona Wrote:

Peace,

Tom

I personally really liked the poppy and lush sound you've added to the drum set.

---------------

Silona,

Thanks for the compliment on the drums. I listened to your mix and I see that you are a newcomer to mixing. I think that's great!!! You did a good job with the mix. The drums sound fine. The only thing you need to do more is utilize "panning" more to spread out the mix. In other words, panning things left, right, and everywhere in between to give the mix more width and depth (depth you get more by using reverb and delays, etc.). Mike Senior's books and materials on this site are invaluable. Just keep reading and practicing and it will all come to you in time. The only problem is, you MIGHT get addicted to mixing, just as most of us on here....LOL. AND, on top of all that, you will NEVER stop learning and improving!!! After 15 years of mixing I am still learning new things and new ways doing things. Plus, new plugins come out enabling you to do so much more than you do even a few years ago, such as "transient" plugins which manipulate the peaks and and such in a track, particularly percussive instruments. Adding samples is done by using plugin tools and such. Do the research and you will learn everything. Best of luck to you and keep on mixing!!! Try every genre on here. I have found that I screw up mixes from a genre I don't usually listen to, say, classical music and death metal, etc. So, by listening and trying to emulate professional music in these genres, you will get better at mixing them, etc. 

I hope some of this information is helpful to you......all the best.

Tom 
(13-05-2020, 11:36 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:

Peace,

Tom

---------------

Silona,

Thanks for the compliment on the drums. I listened to your mix and I see that you are a newcomer to mixing. I think that's great!!! You did a good job with the mix. The drums sound fine. The only thing you need to do more is utilize "panning" more to spread out the mix. In other words, panning things left, right, and everywhere in between to give the mix more width and depth (depth you get more by using reverb and delays, etc.). Mike Senior's books and materials on this site are invaluable. Just keep reading and practicing and it will all come to you in time. The only problem is, you MIGHT get addicted to mixing, just as most of us on here....LOL. AND, on top of all that, you will NEVER stop learning and improving!!! After 15 years of mixing I am still learning new things and new ways doing things. Plus, new plugins come out enabling you to do so much more than you do even a few years ago, such as "transient" plugins which manipulate the peaks and and such in a track, particularly percussive instruments. Adding samples is done by using plugin tools and such. Do the research and you will learn everything. Best of luck to you and keep on mixing!!! Try every genre on here. I have found that I screw up mixes from a genre I don't usually listen to, say, classical music and death metal, etc. So, by listening and trying to emulate professional music in these genres, you will get better at mixing them, etc. 

Tom 

Hi Tom! Thank you so much for your kind words. I will keep in mind the tips and info. To be honest, at first I just came here for the multitracks as I wanted to experience mixing on my own, without realising this is a place to learn how to mix! so I am happy to have found it and as I am already an addict, I hope to keep on and get more and more in depth with it. 

Thanks!
(18-05-2020, 08:56 AM)silona Wrote:
(13-05-2020, 11:36 PM)tjmtruth Wrote:

Peace,

Tom

---------------

Silona,

Tom 

Hi Tom! Thank you so much for your kind words. I will keep in mind the tips and info. To be honest, at first I just came here for the multitracks as I wanted to experience mixing on my own, without realising this is a place to learn how to mix! so I am happy to have found it and as I am already an addict, I hope to keep on and get more and more in depth with it. 

Thanks!

----------------
Silona,

I contacted you through your contact button on your website but I don't know if it went through as it never gave me any indication that my message was sent. Please let me know.

Tom