Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore - AZmix
So here's my attempt at this number.

I like this tune but I must admit that it posed some challenges. It was difficult at first to get everything to be heard as it ought to be. As the article noted, while there are a number of synth tracks, with one exception, they're only active for a few bars each and often something else has dropped out already to give them room to breathe. So they were very judiciously chosen and that means you have to try to figure out how to make room for them if you can. Mostly for me that was trying to only allow the most prominent frequencies through and doing a low cut on the rest and then perhaps boost one or two important bands. That let me push the faders up a good amount without overwhelming the mix.

I spent some time on vocal automation to try to improve intelligibility but the singer here has a very soft, smooth style so some things just aren't gonna come through all that clear and that's fine. I'm only interested in the important stuff. If he wants his full lyrics understood, he can post them or print them in the liner. Smile Meanwhile, I did enough to make sure you can follow along.

Interestingly, to get a good ambience after processing, when I started adding in my own reverb, I found I had to turn it up a good amount to get the sound I wanted, especially after a little careful notching before the fx module. So this thing is just DRIPPING with reverb. The drum return, for example, is right near 0dB. Never had a fader even close to that before. Mostly, I used reverb times of 4+ seconds because I felt this sort of tune wants that long decay time. This fact, along with what a good half note delay accomplished, also let me push the solo guitar up quite a bit without it trying to jump out of the track. Maybe a little more than what the band would have wanted but I think it works.

This mix passes headphones but I admit that I haven't tried it in the car. I'm also concerned that the drum overheads may not be quite right but I had trouble with those becoming too prominent (ride and hat) if I tried to get the cymbals up enough to be really well heard.

Anyhow, enjoy the mix and your feedback is always welcome!

.mp3    shore.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

Old West Audio
Wow! I really really loved it!! Great atmosphere! Well done!