Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louis Cressy Band_Good Time_mix Tommy Marcinek
ConfusedConfusedConfused

Golly Geepers......I had to delete my previous thread because I did the unthinkable: I somehow uploaded a mix that had one of the guitar tracks missing! I don't drink, take drugs, smoke, etc., so there is no excuse for me.....LOL. Don't know what happened, but I'm glad I did it anyway because all I did was just spend more time with this song and now I'm happy with the mix.

This song is cool....brings back memories! Lots of automation and manual editing needed and which I used in this one. Also, I took some liberties in the arrangement a bit. Also, I tightened up the various instruments because this is a riff-based kind of song and the instrumentation has to be as tight as possible.

I like a full mix in this genre so you can tell me there are too many effects on the guitars, etc., but I'll just ask you to live with it.....it's what I heard in my head. AngelAngelAngelAngelAngelAngel

kudos to the great musicians playing on this tune and the singer....just great!

Later.....comments welcomed

Tom
P.S. MixInTheCloud (Adam), thanks for your input in my last thread that I had to delete because it is YOU who made me take another listen and then I realized what I did. Thank-you my friend! Peace.

-------------------------UPDATE------8-28-2017

Thanks to Don (thedon), I used his suggestion and then also just spent lots more time with this song because it's addictive and fun. I left the other mix up but the latest is version 12 (the second one). I think this one is pretty good.

Cheers,

Tom

.mp3    Good Time_9_M.mp3 --  (Download: 10.19 MB)

.mp3    Good Time_12_M.mp3 --  (Download: 10.2 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Hey Tom,
This is a blast from the past , Inspired me to have another go at this great song.
Besides the kick beater being too loud lol ,Really good mix maybe a little multiband compression or dynamic eq to tame the transients on the electric guitar between 400-500 hz as sounds a touch full in that area !

Nice One Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(28-08-2017, 07:40 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Tom,
This is a blast from the past , Inspired me to have another go at this great song.
Besides the kick beater being too loud lol ,Really good mix maybe a little multiband compression or dynamic eq to tame the transients on the electric guitar between 400-500 hz as sounds a touch full in that area !

Nice One Big Grin

--------------
Yo Don!!!!!! Thanks for your comment and because of it, I went back into this mix yet again.....heee heeee. It's addictive this song, dammit! Big Grin

Anyway, besides taking your advice, which definitely helped those guitars, I just wound up spending another couple of hours on this, nipping and tucking, automating, manually tweaking, and just going crazy....can't stop. There are so many examples, but just one is: The drums were obviously played/created via midi keyboard or device and so there was this snare in one spot that was playing a flam and there was a crash right at the same moment. The problem is, drummers have only two hands, so a real drummer couldn't do this cause you need two hands to do a flam. So, it really stuck out (well to me anyway cause I do play a little drums, plus I've always loved drums and have carefully watched drummers play and also picked their brains all my life and baggering them with all kinds of questions about their playing, etc......lol). Therefore, I had to do something about it. I could have robbed a hat pedal (because drummers do have two feet they can use, and that would have worked), or leave the crash and rob a clean snare hit....so I did the latter. Now I'm happy....clean snare hit with a crash! Cool

So, I will be uploading the latest mix in a few, then I have to check out your mix/mixes Don....see ya on your post.

Cheers,

Tom
Hey Tom,

Great work, and for me, a nice reintroduction to this track again. Love the stereo movement work with the guitars. A nice effect that keeps the parts highlighted and exciting. I really like the lead vocal work. Super solid and holds control throughout staying on top of the guitars in a good way . I wouldn't mind if the guitar solo were to come up another dB or two though. I reckon it could be that little bit more explosive. Maybe that's just the guitarist in me, dreaming that I'm on stage with my little Musicman turned all the way up trying and to be heard 10 blocks away. I just can't help myself and yes I was playing air guitar whist listening to this.SmileSmile

Well Done.
(29-08-2017, 01:34 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hey Tom,

Great work, and for me, a nice reintroduction to this track again. Love the stereo movement work with the guitars. A nice effect that keeps the parts highlighted and exciting. I really like the lead vocal work. Super solid and holds control throughout staying on top of the guitars in a good way . I wouldn't mind if the guitar solo were to come up another dB or two though. I reckon it could be that little bit more explosive. Maybe that's just the guitarist in me, dreaming that I'm on stage with my little Musicman turned all the way up trying and to be heard 10 blocks away. I just can't help myself and yes I was playing air guitar whist listening to this.SmileSmile

Well Done.

--------------
Hey Dave, thanks for the props!! Yeah, I agree the guitar solos should be up a db or two but on my system and even in headphones it didn't bother me enough to go back into the mix yet another time.....hee heeee....spent a LOT of time on this one.

Tom