Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Things (Impossibru) Mix
This track was a great excuse to whip out some IR Reverb and just stick it right on the master output, I used impulses from a Bricasti M7 Impulse (Music Room was the name of it) to put some air out around the band and glue everything (a glue comp didn't seem like an appropriate tool for this kind of track).

Really I can't say anything bad about the recordings, everything sounded great really and didn't really need much from some housekeeping (HPF on the kick at 80 Hz, HPF on the piano and guitars at 100 Hz). One thing I did do is make the bass act as the low end of the track by boosting the low end on it and adding an octave shift to it with some multiband compression, the kick as I mentioned is high passed at 80 Hz (a kind of nod to the 70's) which leads to a smoother sounding low end, the opposite of how I'd mix a rock kick drum.

The only thing impossible about this track is making it sound bad, the big problem is that once you get a basic balance with the faders it leaves you a bit confused as what to really process.

Cheers,
Doug

.mp3    Changing Things Mix 1 (impossibru).mp3 --  (Download: 8.94 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6