Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I am
Ive never mixed country music before - but man it was fun, I added a little touch of echo to the lead vox and fiddle, lot o automation to make it more lively and focus on some small instrumental highligts. It so happens that I discovered the Stillwell plugs as I mixed this and their transient tool is great as are hte buss compressor.
I am quite happy with the result and it was a lot o fun.
Great song !

.mp3    Who I am 03 - lim.mp3 --  (Download: 4.25 MB)

Sounds like a record. I forget to listen and analyze what the mixer has done, I started immediately listen the song. Great Job!
Thank you ! I were lucky with the echo I guess, it suits the voice. And those Stillwell plugs are definetely worth checkin out !
Glad you like it
Echo is 396 ms by the way, lowcut 410 hi cut 6300 with a little sidechain compression from the lead vocal so it doesnt drown the words
Theres no symbols in the mix?sounds odd
Very nice sound Voelund!I will agree for the cymbals bat thats my only suggestion maybe more fuller vocals bat they are very good at the moment too!
Congrats!
Indeed there are cymbals, they could come up a fair bit though, agree on that :-) Im curious - cant you hear them ? I can.
Will give it a go with more focus on the drums, they were kind o set and forget, now Ive heard it again especially the ride and hihat could use some more juice. Thank you for the reminder !
For the voice I will stick with it as it is, if I change it I will have to change evrything as the mix is built around the voice.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
The vox are great as the are,this mix is perfect it just needs more crash syms.
Thank you - I will give it a go !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
As I did my own version of this song, I have now new perspective of this song. So, I had a new listen for your excellent version.

It still sounds excellent to me (I used it as one of my references.) But some things came up to my mind:
- vocals are quite alone here. For example the rhythm guitar 1-3 dB louder could provide little low mid frequency butter around vocals. Or just try to turn vocals down 1-3 eB.
- some of the bass notes could be little louder. And some notes die too early. Transparent compressor with carefully selected settings might do the trick.

But those are just irrelevant one man's opinions when compared to the fact that you have a great sound here. Small fixes and changes here and there can easily spoil the overall sonic concept and feeling. So maybe it's just better to leave it as it is and find another song to mix. Smile

Cheers,
Olli