Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I Am Surrey Kid Mx
Put in a bunch of work on this track. Lots of riding, automation and challenges. The musicianship and arrangement is jaw dropping. Haven't mixed much Country music. Think I kinda like working at that genre. Would love to hear any feedback on this mix.

.mp3    Who I Am Surrey Kid Mx.mp3 --  (Download: 3.47 MB)

Did anyone have a chance to give a listen? Did it come out ok? i.e. working on different systems?

Thanks
Sounds great ! Good balance and drums have impact. I would look at the effect returns, turn them all the way down and slowly up till it fits. I think theres way too much verb, f.ex. the dobro has this long verb, makes it sit in a very diffrent room than the rest o the music. This just bein my advise, if you like verb you like verb, nothin wrong with that - and your ear for detail and music is fine ! Good job !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I agree wit Voelund. Too much reverb. Otherwise it seems to pretty good mix to me. If you like the reverb effect, try to keep it some seleceted instruments and remove from others. Then the reverb will more effective.
(12-08-2013, 03:14 AM)Surrey Kid Wrote: Put in a bunch of work on this track. Lots of riding, automation and challenges. The musicianship and arrangement is jaw dropping. Haven't mixed much Country music. Think I kinda like working at that genre. Would love to hear any feedback on this mix.

Hm. Interesting. In a good way. Wink

I've never heard a country mix approached in quite this way before. The reverb has a unique sound to it, and the backing instruments "pop" through the vocals at just the right times for dramatic effect, particularly the way the dobro sustains right after "funeral drives by;" that sounded REALLY cool! Cool

Others have recommended you dial back on the reverb. I agree, to a point, but you don't want to dial it back TOO much as it's a vital part of this mix's feel. I'd dial it back a dB or two but keep it solid and audible, just make sure it doesn't bury detail (it does tend to do that right now, particularly during the second half of the song).

My only other complaint is an overall brassiness/harshness to the sound, particularly the vocals; sounds like too much EQ boost in the 6 kHz range. I recommend minimizing EQ on these tracks as much as possible; they were Telefunken mic demos originally so they really don't need much help EQ-wise, anyway. Wink

Other than that, I really enjoyed this mix. Nice and clean and, while certainly not the "normal" country sound, it's unique and, to my ears, unique in a very pleasing and creative way. Well done. Smile
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
(04-01-2014, 11:10 PM)Pedaling Prince Wrote:
(12-08-2013, 03:14 AM)Surrey Kid Wrote: Put in a bunch of work on this track. Lots of riding, automation and challenges. The musicianship and arrangement is jaw dropping. Haven't mixed much Country music. Think I kinda like working at that genre. Would love to hear any feedback on this mix.

Hm. Interesting. In a good way. Wink

I've never heard a country mix approached in quite this way before. The reverb has a unique sound to it, and the backing instruments "pop" through the vocals at just the right times for dramatic effect, particularly the way the dobro sustains right after "funeral drives by;" that sounded REALLY cool! Cool

Others have recommended you dial back on the reverb. I agree, to a point, but you don't want to dial it back TOO much as it's a vital part of this mix's feel. I'd dial it back a dB or two but keep it solid and audible, just make sure it doesn't bury detail (it does tend to do that right now, particularly during the second half of the song).

My only other complaint is an overall brassiness/harshness to the sound, particularly the vocals; sounds like too much EQ boost in the 6 kHz range. I recommend minimizing EQ on these tracks as much as possible; they were Telefunken mic demos originally so they really don't need much help EQ-wise, anyway. Wink

Other than that, I really enjoyed this mix. Nice and clean and, while certainly not the "normal" country sound, it's unique and, to my ears, unique in a very pleasing and creative way. Well done. Smile

Thanks for the feedback. You understood the motivation.