Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Griffo: 'Pennies'
Hi guys,
Is it likeable? Is it not too bright in overall.
Let me know what do you think.
Cheers

Edit: One year later.....
New mix pennies5a
Pennies6c = another few adjustment, bass went down around 1db, a bit more cut of 500hz.

.mp3    young_griffo_pennies End master1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.46 MB)

.mp3    Pennies5a.mp3 --  (Download: 9.54 MB)

.mp3    pennies6c.mp3 --  (Download: 9.62 MB)

The rhythm guitars are a little forward, maybe.
Be careful with the vocal tracks. They're not *quite* identical. (beyond timing and tuning)
Watch out for that 200Hz region.
Otherwise, I think it just needs a little more punch.

Old West Audio
Hi Lethan - This is a really challenging song to mix, but I think you've done a pretty decent job, especially considering the difficulties inherent in the tracking.

I think the guitars are a little too bright and harsh at times, especially in the verses. I think if you darkened them up a little in the top end, when the choruses hit with the brighter and more distorted fuzz guitars, it would allow for more contrast. The cymbals do get a little overpowering toward the end, too.

I'm not keen on the doubled vocal in the verse - that sounds a little sour to my ear.

One thing I would suggest is taking another look at the drum pattern in the outro. The drummer is actually playing a "marching band" pattern on the snare drum that is a really key part of this section. It sounds like you might have gated the snare and missed that stuff altogether.

Good work overall!
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Hi guys,
One year later new mix Smile. Let me know what do you think. Cheers!
Hey Lethan

Big difference from the first mix .. Guitar tone is good!! a bit dry for me, but that's a taste thing, sounds good. The drums sound really good. Vocals sound good, nice job putting it together.
Well Done
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
Thanks KM,
I still feel i like the first version better despite it's problems like harsness etc. Is it a balance thing? Second thing, i played with a phase of a bass tone and i changed a lot, think it sounds massive now and perhaps thats the problem. What do you think? Also drums feels more open in the first version.
(12-09-2018, 09:26 AM)Lethan Wrote: Thanks KM,
I still feel i like the first version better despite it's problems like harsness etc. Is it a balance thing? Second thing, i played with a phase of a bass tone and i changed a lot, think it sounds massive now and perhaps thats the problem. What do you think? Also drums feels more open in the first version.

Im not hearing much difference between 5a and 6c .. your right the 1st version the drums sound more open, but I like the more solid, tight sound of the last 2 versions. In the 1st version the snare sounds like it has an overtone in it. I'm listening in the headphones right now, when I get a chance Ill fire up the monitors and have a listen, see what differences there are.
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.
I think I prefer the overall brightness of your original mix. The new mixes are pretty dark, and they seem to really underplay the vocal level. The basic seem quite good, just a few level and spectral balance adjustments would help.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Thanks guys for the listening,
KM, these are small changes, almost not noticable. Bass got down about 1db, but perhaps should be lower, will have to check it.
Overtones, is it good or bad? Smile Actually somehow i prefer snare tone from the first version. But i agree, overall dynamic, punchenes is better in second ver.

Andrew, I also someway prefer 1st version, it feels more aggressive like in general despite its problems. I will try to figure out how to improve 2nd version in this matter.
"underplay the vocal" what do you mean? Actually i cannot find the correct position for vocal, as it feels not glued wherever i set up level.

Cheers!
(12-09-2018, 03:54 PM)Lethan Wrote: "underplay the vocal" what do you mean? Actually i cannot find the correct position for vocal, as it feels not glued wherever i set up level.

Cheers!

The vocal feels too low in level, but also it seems dark and not "pretty" enough to be front and centre in the mix... It's a bit like a "neglected step-child" - it needs some love!

If the vocal doesn't feel glued at any level, it's usually an indication that it needs (a) more dynamic control, (b) filtering on the low end to control its relative "size" in the mix, © tuning, (d) ambient treatment, (e) all or any combination of a-d.