Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Is you is or is you ain't - Marce's mix
Here's my mix of "Is you is or is you ain't".
I still don't feel comfortable with the tone of the piano. And it get a bit loud on the solo.
Comments are welcome.
Greetings,
Marcelo

.mp3    IsYouIsOrIsYouAint.mp3 --  (Download: 4.76 MB)

Marce Morales
Sounds great and balanced to me.

Small things that came to my mind:
Bass: I think I’m hearing just a little too much the DI mic
Piano: during the solo it feels quite loud, maybe your eq setting enhances too much around 1-3 K, try cutting there and compensate it by adding around 8k during the solo
Hi,

For the piano, I split it on three tracks with different eq 1: intro+ the end of the tune, 2 solo sax and solo piano, 3 the rest of the song. on all I cut some frequencies between 500 (700-800) and 2Khz (1.3-1.8Khz). In the intro I did boost low mid (to have the left hand walk more round and present) and cut it in the song to make room for the bass (so the cuts in 500-2k aren't the same). The sound you made with the piano is bright and I like it, there are only few peaks in high mid (especially in the solo) that can be tweaked a bit down.

The drums seems far away for my taste, perhaps too much reverb, and the tom is hard to hear. Did you check the phase ? (for the drums and also with the other instruments). It is not the balance of the drums but the space where the drums are in. It makes me feel like i'm in the room with the singer and the saxes and the drums are in another one.

The voice is great, I really like it, the saxes and bass are too.

the overall balance sounds good.

hope it helps.

Thanks for the comments "Olli H", I'll try the EQ on the piano.
Thanks for the comments "Renny", I'll check the phase.

Thank you both,
Marcelo
Marce Morales
I like the overall tone and space you have created especially the clarity with the horns. Vocals maybe a little too forward and lacking in the overall performance ambience. There is quite a contrast in depth from the vocalist to the drummer, if that makes sense.
An enjoyable listen regardless. Well Done.Big Grin