Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Hammer Down Mix...
Hello folks. Im a guitar player for a long time form Turkey and Ive been mixing for fun like 1 year Ive been spending hours and hours learning mixing with Dark Ride's songs and I have to say Ive become a huge fan of the band. Before this one I mixed Piece of Me but was not satisfied with the results. In this mix I didnt do much eq'ing and used less compression.

Hope you like the results,Smile

.mp3    HammerDownFinal.mp3 --  (Download: 9.87 MB)

Hey,

thx for mixing our music. Your mix sounds cool, but you need to fix some stuff to make it even better. The melody guitar needs to come up in the intro, it's the melody of the whole song and should be in the spotlight every time it plays. the snare sounds a bit too thin in the 1st verse (maybe a little boost at 200hz helps, maybe you need to add more room/ambience to the snare just for the verses to make the snare sound a little bit fuller). The vocals stand out too much in the chorus, and the panned vocal delay is too loud & distracting. Those long delay tails don't really sound great in dense songs anyway - it would sound less irritating if those vocals throws would come down in volume so you can barely hear them.

The solo is not loud enough and needs to come up by at least 2db. The melody of the song gets completely lost in the second half of the solo - instead of panning it to the far left and turning it down, put it in the middle and make it just as loud as the solo guitar. just imagine two guitar players having some sort of conversation - that's exactly how those melody guitars should be handled. They need to be equal in loudness and (exactly like in the reference mix).

Also don't pan the vocals hard left & right in the last chorus. I wouldn't pan important stuff like vocals or guitar melodies to the right or left if the song isn't really build for that kind of stuff. You can get away with this if the song supports it (like Back in Black from AC/DC), but Hammer Down isn't the right song for left/right experiments. Vocals should be in the middle all the time, and the solo and melody guitars who take over the role of the vocals should be right in the middle/spotlight too - and not somewhere to the right or left.

All in all it is a good mix with some minor flaws. Fix them and the mix is really, really good.
Thanks for your review. After this mix I've made a new mix from stratch. I applied some good eq'ing on drums and fast type compressor to make them punchy and in your face.

Hope you like it.

.mp3    hammerdown2nd.mp3 --  (Download: 10 MB)