Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
uncle Dad: 'Who I Am' (critiques plz)
Hey Guys and girls,

my latest mix.

I'm not really happy with this one but I really cant tell you why, please help me out!

EDIT: Now I am happy with this mix, I finally got drums to a place where I like it.

LukasAngel

.mp3    Uncle Dad-Who I am_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.97 MB)

.mp3    Uncle Dad-Who I am_v4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.94 MB)

Sounds really good to me, maybe a little more bottom end on the kick drum and snare would beef it up but it's a great mix.
Hey Scones,

thanks a lot for the reply Big Grin.

Agree on the snare I struggled to get it right. Regarding the Kick I kinda like it the way it is, I think I has plenty of low-end maybe its a bit loud.

Lukas Angel
Hey Luke, wow this mix is super good Smile Luke you have really become a lot better, this mix is the best i have heard at the site to be honest. You have really good depth in this mix, feels like you have shaped the image in a good way really nice. The low end is good, more of it and you will get masking so, maybe a master engineer could improve the low end but i wouldn't be to concerned about that, good job! Only thing is that the kick is irritating and feels very pokey around the 3k. Bass can still cut so i don't know why people rant about the need in high end in kicks to be honest.
Thanks a lot!

Maybe I was a too critical of myself....

Regarding the kick: I didnt boost much highs on it, but the track includes two "in" mics so maybe thats where all the high-end is coming from.

And you need highs in a kick so it has more definition and energy.

LukasAngel
(12-08-2017, 11:21 AM)LukasL Wrote: Thanks a lot!

Maybe I was a too critical of myself....

Regarding the kick: I didnt boost much highs on it, but the track includes two "in" mics so maybe thats where all the high-end is coming from.

And you need highs in a kick so it has more definition and energy.

LukasAngel

To be honest im being quite nice, this mix actually feel very tired and sleepy. I would fall asleep listening to this. Thing is this, i would never listen to a kick thru a whole mix, its not music.
If you fall asleep then I succseded lol. Was going for a chill, relaxed vibe.
And also what do you mean with the kick?
(12-08-2017, 12:13 PM)LukasL Wrote: If you fall asleep then I succseded lol. Was going for a chill, relaxed vibe.
And also what do you mean with the kick?

Well, if you think about it its pretty obvious. If you hear a band or a record you listen to things that make the music seem like you enjoy it and want to associate with it. Who the hell associate to a kick drum being in focus an entire song?
You seem to associate it. I never said anything about focusing on the kick, I just want it to be loud enough that it can add something to the music.
(12-08-2017, 12:17 PM)LukasL Wrote: You seem to associate it. I never said anything about focusing on the kick, I just want it to be loud enough that it can add something to the music.

Well that was a very weird conversation about the kick drum!
Yeah on a second listen through some better speakers the kick could maybe come back just a little and just a touch more meat to the snare and I think it's really nice. This is really great. I didn't fall sleep!