Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louis Cressy - Good Time (by JThau)
Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by. I hope you will lend me your ear for a moment and take a listen to the super fun song to mix Good Time by Louis Cressy.

It was really a good time and a blast to mix this song. Very well recorded and rocking!

I look for critique on it, what needs to be changed, and why. What would you do different ?

On a sidenote: I'm currently reworking the delay for the vox a bit.

Thank you guys and girls in advance Smile Feel free to fire any questions if you have any for the mix.

.mp3    Louis Cressy Band - Good Time - FUNK ROCK_Mixed_by_JThau.mp3 --  (Download: 11.17 MB)

So here's an update if anyone wanna take a listen to it and perhaps provide some feedback, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Changed since first version:

- Track repair on drums in beggining. More tightness.
- Little lighter on the drums in the low and low-mid range of frequencies so it doesn't fight the bass as much
- Rearranged the levels on toms in the drumkit
- Reworked the delay to better fit the song
- Reworked automation on the second guitar solo
- Automation on FX (delay)

Hope you like it.

.mp3    Louis Cressy Band - Good Time - FUNK ROCK_Mixed_by_JThau_RevA.mp3 --  (Download: 13.46 MB)

I'd like to hear more weight given to the guitars. They do not carry the presence your drums do, which sound great by the way. I also like the character of the vocal. Let's hear that same clarity for the guitars and organ. I like the idea of the delay on the vocal but I think you have not expressed as cleanly as you could have. At points it saturates and distorts too. Your sounds and your mixing is better than that.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Mixinthecloud,

Thanks so much for your feedback it's very much appreciated. It's been quite a while since I've had the time and spare time to go ahead and mix this track, so I sadly had to take a break from it, however you should know that I appreciate you taking the time to listen and come with constructive feedback very much.
I've taken the things you've said into account and I very much agree with a lot of your points. So with that said here's a new and updated version of the track, I've had a couple of hours today to refine a few things and also recently got a new plugin which I'd love to try out, but I did wanna go with the same idea I originally had when I mixed the song. Please have a listen again and let me know what you think Smile This also goes for anyone else who might be interested.

Changed since version B:

- Changed compressors and most to all, added parallel compression to the drums to get a more pumping sound out of them.
- Rearranged levels on hammond and guitars to better fit each other.
- Rearranged levels on hammond and guitars to better fit the rest of the song.
- Reworked the automation on various instruments.
- Reworked the automation on the delay as to not saturate as much and color it, but more tasteful put in.

Hope you enjoy it, please provide feedback be it negative or positive Smile I always appreciate it.

Edit: Sorry forgot to attach the track. Here it is.

.mp3    Louis Cressy Band - Good Time - FUNK ROCK revC.mp3 --  (Download: 11.17 MB)