Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Thrashy thrash
Hello,

Here's my mix on this song.
Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks!

08/09 : v2, some changes in the bass, OH and overall levels.

.mp3    Thrashy thrash 6.mp3 --  (Download: 6.46 MB)

.mp3    master TT 11.mp3 --  (Download: 6.41 MB)

Hey guys, any thoughts on this?
(08-08-2017, 03:45 PM)Tuyop Wrote: Hey guys, any thoughts on this?

Hey Tuyop,

first of all I wouldn't really expect much activity on this forum regarding feedback, sadly. That said, I would be happy if you would check out a mix of mine as well.

Really like the fat drums and thic guitars with a lot of impact Smile
(Care to share how u mixed the guitars)

Suggestions:
- The Bass tone is kinda weird, its sounds very unbalanced and "floppy" to me... Maybe Multiband-Comp and bit of saturation?
- Attack on the ride cymbal is too much for me
- More dynamics... Drums cant hit that hard cause of the 0dbFS Limit of digital audioSad

LukasAngel

Hello!!
Good work!! maybe a little bit of control on bass frequenciez on guitars, specialy in loww mids, and one or two dbs low on guitar, but sounds great!!
(08-08-2017, 08:55 PM)LukasL Wrote: Hey Tuyop,

first of all I wouldn't really expect much activity on this forum regarding feedback, sadly. That said, I would be happy if you would check out a mix of mine as well.

Really like the fat drums and thic guitars with a lot of impact Smile
(Care to share how u mixed the guitars)

Suggestions:
- The Bass tone is kinda weird, its sounds very unbalanced and "floppy" to me... Maybe Multiband-Comp and bit of saturation?
- Attack on the ride cymbal is too much for me
- More dynamics... Drums cant hit that hard cause of the 0dbFS Limit of digital audioSad

LukasAngel
Hey Lukas, thanks for your feedback, it helps a lot!

As for the guitar chain :
left : TSS (a tubescreamer pedal emulation), Lecto (a mesa boogie emulation), redwirez IR (free marshall cab impulse response)
right : TSS, Le456 (a engl emulation), redwirez impulse

Then, just an eq to remove 4k fizz, and a small boost at 160Hz.

Made a second version :
- Few tweaks on the bass, mutiband comp helped
- I compressed a bit more the OH
- Made some level changes, and backed of the bus comp

I commented one of your mix, pretty cool mix. Smile
Will you take a shot on this song ?
Hi Tuyop!
Overall the new revision seems to be in decent shape, the main thing I notice is that the guitars have a fizzy top end to them and the solo guitar is too dry sounding. Make sure to use a low pass filter on the guitars (I generally set it around 8-10 kHz depending on how harsh the guitars sound) or use a less harsh sounding impulse (the Catharsis Fredman impulses are really great for this and don't require alot of tweaking), using some reverb or short stereo delay (<100 ms) on the solo will help it sit in the mix better as well.

The bass tone is pretty much there, on the sections where the bass pokes out try automating the level down so it sits under the guitars, this will give you a more consistent sound. A LF exciter like Waves RBass (FL Studio may have a similar plugin) will also help to add some weight to the bass.

Funny enough you have the opposite """"problem""" that I have in my mix, the kick is louder than the snare in the mix. The snare now has too much sizzle to it and not enough crack, also the guitars seem to be overpowering the drums which may also be part of the problem. I found that boosting 10 kHz and cutting 500 Hz on the snare gave it some power in the mix and adding a touch of soft clipping to prevent overloading the master helped a good bit. The drums I found really didn't need compression, soft clipping really did the job pretty well and just a bit of eq to help them sit.

Cheers and hope this helps,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6