Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Szymon Skiba - STTIG (OTR Mix)
First thing is I noticed is that the drums were default Superior Drummer 2 drum samples so I went and changed the kick and snare to something else since I really don't the default SD2 sounds.

Other than that this was a very straight forward mix.

Feedback appreciated Smile

.mp3    Szymon Skiba - Some Trashy Thrash, I Guess.mp3 --  (Download: 6.39 MB)

(01-08-2017, 06:30 AM)OmegaTheRed Wrote: First thing is I noticed is that the drums were default Superior Drummer 2 drum samples so I went and changed the kick and snare to something else since I really don't the default SD2 sounds.

Other than that this was a very straight forward mix.

Feedback appreciated Smile

The drums need to be tightened up on the lowend.
I like the punch but its resonating a bit much in the sub frequencies.
Bass is there but I don't hear it hahaha.
These drums are louder than the gtrs
The solo needs automation it dip in volume and needs to be glued into the mix because it sounds a little separate.
The reverse cymbal needs to be addressed.

Overall pretty solid, a few more tweaks and bang!
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(02-08-2017, 02:37 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: The drums need to be tightened up on the lowend.
The solo needs automation it dip in volume and needs to be glued into the mix because it sounds a little separate.

I turned the drums down 2db
put some eq on the reverse cymbal, i noticed it had some harsh high frequencies.
i also changed the amp sim i was using for the solo, and it seemed to fix it up.
fixed up the low end to the best of my ability.
as for the bass guitar i fixed it up some so you can actually hear it and not just the low end stuff of the bass

.mp3    Szymon Skiba - Some Trashy Thrash, I Guess.mp3 --  (Download: 6.39 MB)

(02-08-2017, 09:04 PM)OmegaTheRed Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 02:37 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: The drums need to be tightened up on the lowend.

I turned the drums down 2db
put some eq on the reverse cymbal, i noticed it had some harsh high frequencies.
i also changed the amp sim i was using for the solo, and it seemed to fix it up.
fixed up the low end to the best of my ability.
as for the bass guitar i fixed it up some so you can actually hear it and not just the low end stuff of the bass

Hey, Szymon here,
amazing job, I think it's my favourite mix out there. Keep on the good work! Smile

[/quote]

Pretty sweet dude. The comp pumps but its acceptable. Great over the top exaggerated mix. Nice.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(06-08-2017, 08:26 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: The comp pumps but its acceptable.

Was about to comment that, but I think its not very far away from being too pumpy. And I agree with all of your points from above, so the 2nd version is pretty much done in my opinion.

LukasAngel

pretty much done in my opinion.

LukasAngel

[/quote]

Yeah I think its a good job but every mix has room for improvement even if they're done. I think this kicks ass even if its on the verge of too pumpy. but sometimes that's the aesthetic.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(06-08-2017, 07:37 PM)McBuumen1729 Wrote: Hey, Szymon here,
amazing job, I think it's my favourite mix out there. Keep on the good work! Smile

Thanks Big Grin

That means a lot.
(07-08-2017, 09:18 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: Yeah I think its a good job but every mix has room for improvement even if they're done. I think this kicks ass even if its on the verge of too pumpy. but sometimes that's the aesthetic.

I get what your saying. It's something I've been working on lately. Dynamics and such I hit a road block when trying to mix one the songs a few months back on Nail The Mix. and learned a few things. And with what I learned and what music I listen to. I like to mix stuff in like a modern way. Kinda in like a Asking Alexandria/Jeoy Sturgis way. Like with it there is stuff that I feel can still be done to make the mix better. But I just haven't really had the time to get around to that yet. And thanks for the feedback Big Grin