Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nerve 9-"Pray For The Rain"
V1: Clip Gain came in handy on this song for taming the breaths from the compression. It was deceiving, even though there's lots of space in the arrangement it was a bit tricky trying to get the drums to stand up without them stepping on the lead vocal. I tuned a couple of the BGV tracks where the singer held a note. Cheers.

V3: I took jeff42's comments below to heart and tried to open the mix up a bit.

.mp3    Nerve 9_Pray For The Rain V1 .mp3 --  (Download: 13.3 MB)

.mp3    Nerve 9_Pray For The Rain V2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.84 MB)

.mp3    Nerve9_Pray For The Rain V3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.88 MB)

We're all just a bunch of freqs in this crazy world.
V2: Small tweaks in the vocal. Changed from the SSL "Legacy" compressor to a UAD Neve 33609 for the stereo bus.

Wow :O

Great mix. No complaints.

Lukas Angel
Sounds great to me! I especially like the usage of rooms in the mix!
The background vox could maybe a be a bit wider spread, but that's personal choice Smile

Great job!
nice mix sound great to me
I would take a look at long term dynamics: between versus, pre-chorus, chorus. Without variation the overall impression is that the song sounds rather flat; although a lot of the individual effects and vocal treatments are each good in their own right.
All sound is a distortion of silence / soundcloud.com/jeffd42
(08-09-2017, 01:03 AM)jeffd42 Wrote: I would take a look at long term dynamics: between versus, pre-chorus, chorus. Without variation the overall impression is that the song sounds rather flat; although a lot of the individual effects and vocal treatments are each good in their own right.

Thanks Jeffd42, I agree with you and did a remix (V3) to try to give the mix a little more air and depth.
Cool Mix I Like it a lot ,
One minor thing that pops out to my ears is at around 0.53 in the first Chorus is missing something maybe just the shimmering guitar needs to come up a touch .

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-09-2017, 10:22 AM)thedon Wrote: Cool Mix I Like it a lot ,
One minor thing that pops out to my ears is at around 0.53 in the first Chorus is missing something maybe just the shimmering guitar needs to come up a touch .

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don,
I'll revisit and see what I missed. Appreciate you giviing it a listen. Have a great weekend.
Very nice mix. I love the snare.
A couple of observations: the lead vox sounds a bit too mid-scooped to me for this song. When it gets busy I think the compression is slightly on the overdone side, could it be probably triggered too much by low end?
Nice balance otherwise, cheers