Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Into My Dreams - Olli H
My final version.
Comments taken (hopefully) into account.
I decided not to replace any drums nor add any samples.
I tried to make preserve natural movement inherent in arrangement so that the song grows bigger in each transition.

SPOTIFY-MASTERED
My first mix of this song was ”CD”-mastered. As this is competition I was wondering should I make it loud or very loud or simply louder than anybody else, but in the end I decided to follow my own taste and preferences: I tried to preserve all the natural dynamics. So this version is ”spotify” mastered version.

.mp3    FINAL-spotify-mastered-into-my-dreams-256bitrate-2017-08-04-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 32 MB)

Interesting.. that a phaser you stuck on the lead guitar? Nice trick to try to get some width out of it.
Good contrast on the guitars in the verse. That was something I didn't quite manage to do successfully.
I like the distance you gave certain elements with your reverb.

Out of interest, what sort of treatment did you give to the lead vocal?

Old West Audio
SOme of the solo guitars have P&M Dimension 3D

Female track
- de-esser
- eq (cut around 340, nohting else)
- LA-2A compression, just a bit
- Massey vt3 eq just a bit to give presence
- Hi pass 195, lo-pass 10.6 K

Then in parallel processing
- heavy compression
- saturation
- microshift
- top enhancement
- plate
- three different delays

VOX SUM
Some eq corrections to all vocals

Thanks for feedback! Listened the Spotify version. Something feels a bit off with the drums? Maybe they could use a bit more reverb? Or maybe the relation between close mics and overheads and/or room mics combined with gating makes them sound a bit disturbing? Perhaps take down the close mics and bring up overheads and/or room? On some parts the drum beater is also quite strong. But they don't sound bad and I like the bang, and the overall sound of the mix is just great. Great work!
THanks,
I hear a too dry snare problem with second snare track (snare2up), but otherwise the dryness doesn't bother me at all. I have probably stolen the sonic idea of drums from The Neal Morse Band.
Sounds great to me Olli!
Very composed and finished sounding. An enjoyable journey from start to finish.

Dave