Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
During mixing i fell in love with this song...
...even though i think the recordings are not perfect for a perfect re-mixing...

I would have prefered the raw recorded Drum Tracks instead of gated ones to get a better and more natural sounding Kit...

The most difficult task though was to tame the highs in the Vocal Track.

I guess this was recorded to close to the mic (or it was even the wrong one for this voice and style of singing...).
Besides the internal clipping of the mic, the proximity effect resulted in overattenuated compressed highs in a weird frequency-range, which made it nearly impossible to de-ess them without losing detail and to fit/mix it right...

But I hope you like it.

.mp3    the_doppler_shift_-_atrophy_(ew-mix).mp3 --  (Download: 12.41 MB)

if we only have one turn - in this life we have to learn
(26-07-2017, 02:13 PM)eccentric.worx Wrote: ...even though i think the recordings are not perfect for a perfect re-mixing...

I would have prefered the raw recorded Drum Tracks instead of gated ones to get a better and more natural sounding Kit...

The most difficult task though was to tame the highs in the Vocal Track.

I guess this was recorded to close to the mic (or it was even the wrong one for this voice and style of singing...).
Besides the internal clipping of the mic, the proximity effect resulted in overattenuated compressed highs in a weird frequency-range, which made it nearly impossible to de-ess them without losing detail and to fit/mix it right...

But I hope you like it.

Hey dude, i like this mix, only complaint i have is that the refrain feels smaller then the verses. Also the vocals could benefit from som multiband compression around 2.5-4 khz to take away some overshooting ringing since the vocals are heavily compressed. Other then that i like the vibe gj Smile. I really like how "smackydisted" the drums are Smile. There could be more bottomend punch in the kick maybe? that would probably lift the refrain. Maybe if you make another track with the kick and make that one punchy in the subs and then it goes back to the original on the verse/choruses? Smile Hope i can help it lift even more.
Hi,
The Vocals are indeed very much compressed and i used a deesser in addition to several fine-tuned dynamic eq bands in that specific frequency range.
I´m afraid if i dip them deeper, some important sibilance will get lost. So i leave them as they are (for now) until i can think of a different solution. I guess in that case automation is your friend... Or a Vocal-Rider... Wait a moment, i will see if melodyne can handle this, i remember it had a function for simply lowering the volume of single "events". Hopefully its resolution will be fine enough...

But you´re totally right, the Kick is getting a bit lost in the refrain, i will address this issue when i find the time during the next Days.

Thanks for your feedback!
if we only have one turn - in this life we have to learn