Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Back From The Start - Olli H mix
Great song, great arrangement, great performance, great everything. Fun to mix.

I wanted to make big haunting intimate sound. At least that's what I TRIED to do.

This mix came quite naturally after I get the idea to use Chris Whitleys sound in the cd "Living With The Law" as a reference for a distant drum sound. (The final sound of my mix is very different from Whitleys sound, but still it was guiding force in this job)

.mp3    2013-07-10-back-from-the-start.mp3 --  (Download: 6.06 MB)

Slightly different midnight version that I mixed with headphones.

.mp3    2013-07-11-back-from-the-start.mp3 --  (Download: 6.06 MB)

I like the sound you gave to the drums. Quite interesting.

By the way, I like the second version better! I can't give you any suggestions because I'm new to mixing
mixing since April 2013
Good mix
(11-07-2013, 06:29 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I like the sound you gave to the drums. Quite interesting.

I'm glad you like them. Distant drums combined with intimate and close vocals were the foundation of this sonic experiment.

(11-07-2013, 06:29 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: By the way, I like the second version better!

I'm even happier. I changed only the vocal sound to make them more focused. (+ small change with hi-hats). So, now I have a feeling that I moved to right direction.

(11-07-2013, 06:29 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I can't give you any suggestions because I'm new to mixing

When it comes to mixing, I think the technical details and comments are not the most important thing. Sometimes, many times, most of the time mixing is creative artistic work where the main thing should be vision and feeling and emotion. And that aspect is damn easy to forget during technical details of mixing.

I think the most interesting comments are those where one describes one's non-analytical initial feelings after 5-10 seconds of listening: "boring", "wow", "annoying vocals", "whatever"… Those comments can really guide mix to new direction. You're listening with fresh ears, and mixer don't have and can't have them anymore.

So, when listening others mixes, just say what comes to your mind, and don't think too much if there's mud in the mid range. You helped me a lot.

Cheers,
Olli

(11-07-2013, 08:26 PM)takka360 Wrote: Good mix

Thanks.

BTW, when I listened your mix I realised that the drum groove in my mix was not what it should be. You had a very good groove there. My hi-hats were totally in wrong place. I tried to fix that in my second mix, but it was quite difficult to match distant drums with more close hi-hats.
Sounds fine mate
Nice mix Olli.I found the guitar is a bit muddy and not define, some de ess on vocals would be good too
Overall nice filling especially when bass kicks in.
Thanks gopener, I'll check those issues