Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suit You - My first serious mixing try
I just started to improve myself in mixing a week ago. I'm just learning how different components work and wanted to mix this song. Don't afraid to critisize.

Note: I somehow lost the parts after bridge, i don't know how. I mixed it anyway.

.mp3    Jet-Suit You.mp3 --  (Download: 5.16 MB)

Promising start, T. I like your vocal treatment.
Are you the Turkuaz who contributed Tiptoe Through the Crypto?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Well, for one week of experience, it's a great start!
a
The overall sound is good. However, it's all a bit mono, straight down the middle sounding - don't be afraid to pan things out to widen your mix. Generally, bass, kick drum and probably snare should be centred, but other things can be panned out. Almost everyone pans the backing vocals pretty much hard left and right on this song - it's a cliche, but it works because it makes the chorus sound bigger and wider. Guitars are another thing that often get extreme panning treatments. Just play around and try to get your mix sounding a bit wider and deeper.
Thank you for your advices! After another 10 days of improving, i'll give an advice for myself from the future Smile

I increased volume of the main vocals to make it stand out but that didn't help much. I could brighten the vocals with saturation etc. to make it heard better.

(27-07-2017, 03:40 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Promising start, T. I like your vocal treatment.
Are you the Turkuaz who contributed Tiptoe Through the Crypto?

No that's not me Angel

Hi Turkuaz. I also found the vocal was too quiet so I doubled the track. I duplicated the lead vocal track panned them hard left and right and added the same effects to both tracks. This doubles the volume right away.