Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.75 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Into My Dreams'
My final and only mix submission for the competition. I want to thank Perpetual Escape for the challenge and the music provided. I am very proud of my mix and the 6 days I devoted to make it sound as big and exciting as I could. I don't think I can top this effort, therefore, I am leaving it the way you are hearing it now. Thank you for listening and may the best mix wins.
Cheers,

javierpg84

.m4a    Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams_Mixed by javierpg84.m4a --  (Download: 32.45 MB)

.m4a    Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams_Mixed by javierpg84 Final Review.m4a --  (Download: 32.45 MB)

Excellent mix Javier, very polished. Great guitar tones and balance.

Cheers,
Shon
Hi Javier, I'm Perpetual Escape's drummer and original mix engineer.

Here's my feedback for your mix:

Globally your mix is pretty impressive ! All sound very balanced. Here's what you can do to improve it.

- Drums: I really like when the overheads and hi hats are not distractive and in front. You did it well here, but maybe a tad too much. I play a lot of cymbals on this song, like the ride on the first verse but I can't hear it.
The snare could be more punchy. It cuts well but I think it deserve more impact and body.
The toms could be scooped a little bit more. They have some disturbing mids.
In the first guitar solo, I was very suprised by the FX you added. It gives a lot of space to the guitar but it's very distractive in the same time. Maybe the drums are too loud in this part ? However, this FX really emphasizes the second part of the solo. That's a nice move (but maybe that can be improved a little bit ?)

- Bass: nothing to report here :p It sounds very good and works very well with the kick and the guitars.

- Guitars: The lead guitar in the intro is too much in the back. As it's a lead, it's important for us to have it in front. In general, your leads are too much behind. It's very obvious on the big chord that finishes the second part of the song, right before the acoustic guitar comes in.
I really like how that 3d part starts. The acoustic guitar is almost naked and it gives kind of a fear effect. Well done !

- Keys: they serve the song as they are supposed to. They bring a nice atmosphere without being too obvious. Nice job !

- Vocals: In part 3, the female vocals is at the same volume (or so..) than the backing vocals. To imagine what we wanted, think of Pink Floyd's Great Gig In The Sky Wink We must feel the death above us !
You nicely used FX here and there, without being in the too much side of the FX.

So in a nutshel, your mix is really well crafted, and I'm looking forward to hearing its improved version.

Cheers
Florian

Thank you Florian for reviewing the mix. I corrected every detail you mentioned to the extent that the mix will not break apart. Thank you for the music and I hope you like the final version. Keep rocking!
Decision time. Drum roll.
2020 mix

.mp3    Into My Dreams 2020(3).mp3 --  (Download: 32.13 MB)

(26-05-2020, 07:50 PM)javierpg84 Wrote: 2020 mix
I like this mix better - guitars are better-EQd and definitely has more of a pink floyd feel