Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ill Fate (OTR Mix)
I really like the drums from this band. That being they don't seem to be of the best quality, which adds the fun of it being somewhat challenging.

This is my 8th mix of the song and it's where I finally feel really happy about it.

I can post some of my previous versions of this if anyone wants to hear the differences. tho on my later mixes to some it might not sound like any changes but there are some and they kinda subtle. But to those with good ears can hear it.

Anyways comments and feedback appreciated. Big Grin

1/21/2018: New mix from new things I've learned. There is one sample for the kick to boost around a certain range. just to added a little punch to the kick.

4/14/2018: Changed back the kick, did seem to fit better and go through the mix easier. Also changed up the processing on the vocals, like adding JST Gain Reduction, its rather nice on vocals. Also a few other minor things.

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Ill Fate.mp3 --  (Download: 4.94 MB)

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Ill Fate (2018).mp3 --  (Download: 4.84 MB)

.mp3    Hollow Ground - Ill Fate (2018 v2).mp3 --  (Download: 4.84 MB)

Updated with a new mix.
Hey.
I think that in the first mix the kick is more selective. It's better to get through the mix. And the second note: in my opinion guitars have too little bottom. Remember, however, that I am a beginner and these are only my subjective evaluations.
I definitely like the mix, I would say maybe a little more glue on the 2 buss to give it a bit more of a cohesive punch, and this is personal preference but I think the vocals could do with a little 1176 lovin (on the slower attack side to bring out a bit of the punch and keep it from dipping below the guitars) and some distortion to bring out the aggression!
(27-03-2018, 12:00 AM)Andrzej Pyrowicz Wrote: Hey.
I think that in the first mix the kick is more selective. It's better to get through the mix. And the second note: in my opinion guitars have too little bottom. Remember, however, that I am a beginner and these are only my subjective evaluations.

thanks for the feedback, after listen back I did change the guitars some, as they were indeed lacking in some bass.
(13-04-2018, 05:05 AM)gemini8 Wrote: I definitely like the mix, I would say maybe a little more glue on the 2 buss to give it a bit more of a cohesive punch, and this is personal preference but I think the vocals could do with a little 1176 lovin (on the slower attack side to bring out a bit of the punch and keep it from dipping below the guitars) and some distortion to bring out the aggression!

Not sure what you meant in the first part. I did mess around with the vocals some more, as vocals have been a rather weak aspect of my mixing. Smile
A lot of it sounds good, but for some reason it seems a little congested somehow. Maybe some of it is too filtered and causing a narrowing effect.

Around :35 somethings starts to ring out with the cymbals, and vocals get a bit buried towards the end.
(14-04-2018, 11:05 PM)OmegaTheRed Wrote:
(13-04-2018, 05:05 AM)gemini8 Wrote: I definitely like the mix, I would say maybe a little more glue on the 2 buss to give it a bit more of a cohesive punch, and this is personal preference but I think the vocals could do with a little 1176 lovin (on the slower attack side to bring out a bit of the punch and keep it from dipping below the guitars) and some distortion to bring out the aggression!

Not sure what you meant in the first part. I did mess around with the vocals some more, as vocals have been a rather weak aspect of my mixing. Smile

I just meant a compressor on the Mix Buss might help it punch together! Yeah man, I know what you mean, vocals always get me, especially female vox lol!