Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kamikase Mix
You've created a sound here that's got undeniable charisma. It's darker and moodier than the other versions I've heard -- almost slightly trip-hop! -- and I like that very much, but there's still a palpable air and space to the sound too, a height to the environment if you like. A well-judged creative reinterpretation. Those tom fills kind of shouldn't work, but somehow they manage to do so nonetheless! And that bass has turned into a bit of a monster (you don't call yourself Kamikase for nothing, clearly!), which adds a slight drum-and-bass/dub tinge. Love the close-down on the downbeat at 1:39 -- that shutdown of the atmosphere, presumably as you're muting out one of the parts or effect-returns.

The sounds are all very appealing too, with subtle and tasteful blending treatments, and my only slight feeling of disappointment is that the slightly trippier end of the effects spectrum that's suggested by the snare effects isn't any more evident in the other parts. On the one hand I suppose this allows the nuances of the parts themselves to shine out better, but somehow I think there'd still have been room for some more space and echo 'in the gaps' so to speak.

However, this is a stirling job that I enjoyed listening to very much, so if you don't agree with my suggestions I'd be the first to tell you to ignore them and follow your own well-developed creative instincts! Smile