Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape - Into My Dreams
Hello!

This is my first try on this epic (and also huge by all aspects) track!
I have to admit it was one of the most difficult mixes I have ever done and gave me a whole new respect on people who actually work with this genre.
I hope you like it,and as always I'm open to any kind of comments and suggestions!

Final Mix for Competition Entry!

Cheers,
Simon.

.mp3    Perpetual escape Into my dreams final competition mix.mp3 --  (Download: 32.09 MB)

Hi Simon,

Epic Indeed!!!

To my ears, this is a competent mix. I like the way you have handled the sonics and emotion from start to finish. Great play with the synths!

Just a couple of things jumped out at me whist listening. I think the first vocal passage could be a little hot or maybe too up front. I wonder if a softer entry would work better. I think it would also help the build into the first vocal harmony part which as it is, for me is a little underwhelming following on. The vocal passages there on for me, work well. The only other thing I feel is to perhaps exploit the stereo field more with some creativity and crazy panning, "if you like", through some of the mysterious sonic passages that are presented here, just to make things more Epic!

Great work here. Enjoyable listeningBig Grin

Dave

Sounds very good. The kick feel very huge, maybe too huge? Some guitar tracks feel a little too strong between 2.5k and 3k. That being said, sounds very good. Hmm... Although I'm a fan of static sound, maybe you could indeed use some more FX, panning and all that stuff to make it more exciting and suprising and whatever. Still, sounds very good. ^_^
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Dave,you were spot on about the vocals on the first movement.It really needed some more automation and I did this on my third mix which is now way better!Thanks for that!
About the static sound mix,I think that in this song there are constantly so many things going on and adding more effects and "crazy pannings" and stuff will take away the focus from the lyrics for the listener which in this case would be a shame.

I uploaded today a third version of my mix which I think is really to my liking's.

Thanks,
Simon.
Hey Simon ! I'm Florian, drummer of Perpetual Escape. Thank you for mixing our song, and let's go for your mix review Smile

- Drums: Hmm I like how they sound Smile They have punch and clarity and sit well in the mix. Some little things you can improve: The kick lacks some definition. I can hear a lot of lows, probably around 70-80Hz but it sounds masked by the bass. I think you should work on their relationship and make sure one of them is above the other. I usually place my kick at 55-60 Hz and my bass at 80 Hz with complementary EQ.
The snare has a lot of impact, which is great, but the snare side is too loud. It's very obvious when I hit the toms. The wires vibrate sympathetically. You can leave as it is but think of using automation when I hit the toms. Maybe a fat sample can enhance it by bringing a bigger body. Just an option though Wink
The hats are a bit loud and aggressive. You can deess them, or use a pretty drastic low pass.

- Bass: very round and full of low ends, maybe a little bit too much. As previously said, it masks the kick, so grab your EQ to make sure they work together.

- Guitars: Nice tone and vibe ! Maybe some lead guitars could a little more louder. For example, in the second part of the first solo, the keys are louder. The lead guitar sound more distant while it should be upfront. Same thing for the last part. The song finishes on a long and fantastic performance of our guitarist, so make it epic Wink
At last, I think some automation on guitar volume would create different atmospheres through the different parts. For example, in part 4 (progressive part), the guitars can be louder as they're the only melodic instruments which can express the nightmare of the child. So make sure the guitars are the most important instruments in this part.

- Keys: I really like the FX you used on them, to give them space and depth. It works really well through the whole song. They sit very well in the mix, while being louder than in other mixes. Very well done mate !

- Vocals: maybe a little bit aggressive in general, in the 2k-4k area. Surely they cut well through the mix, but it's a bit irritating for the ears. In part 3, I wish they were louder. This is a tricky part to deal with. It's all about the death, a very dark feeling while the child is dreaming. The vibe Anaïs put in her performance is very important. So make sure it's not overwhelmed by the instruments (without being too loud indeed Wink )
During the Pink Floyd's "Great Gig In The Sky" part, the backing vocals are louder than the main vocals. Some little automation will do the trick here to make the main vocals more consistant Smile

That's all for me Smile I hope you had fun with these tracks ! I'm looking forward to hearing your revised mix.

Cheers
Florian - Perpetual Escape.
Hello Florian! Thank you for your review on my mix. I am a drummer and a mix engineer myself. Currently I am on vacation. I'll be back in the studio on the 7th of August so that's probably the day I will send you my revised mix with the changes you suggested. I hope that this is OK with the competition.
Thanks, Simon!
I know I am half a day late but I just returned from my vacation and did some of the changes Florian suggested for my Mix.
So you can find and review my final and updated "for competition mix" on the top post.I hope it is OK.

Cheers,
Simon!