Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet B - Suit You
Nice guitar tone! Here's my take.

.mp3    Jet B - Suit You.mp3 --  (Download: 8.45 MB)

That's a pretty solid mix overall. The guitar tone IS good!

I would say I found the reverb on the drums a touch too much during the verses. It works fine in the chorus, but I'd drop the amount of reverb back a touch during the verses - just because everything else sounds fairly dry by comparison. OR, if you want a fairly reverb-ey mix, add more to vocals and guitar. (Yeah, I know reverb heavy rock mixes are considered a bit retro...)

Conversely, the main vocal feels a bit too far back during the chorus, which is when you want it to pop out! Just driving the vocal a few decibels harder during the chorus would make a big difference, I think.

Also, what happened to the piano? :-)
Thanks CJ for the feedback. I tend to be a bit heavy handed with the reverb, especially when mixing with headphones. I'll listen again with fresh ears and your observation in mind. I had the vocals too loud in the chorus and dropped them back a bit. I was wondering if I'd overshot my target, and you answered my question, although burying the vocals during the chorus is a thing you'll hear in many 70's rock tunes. Burying the piano, on the other hand, was a bit more deliberate. I just didn't think it added much to the song.
Hey man - I grew up with the sound of Jon Bonham and Phil Collin's snare too! Then in the 90s everything went REALLY dry as a reaction. Then you had stuff like trip-hop coming out where going crazy with the effects was part of the production style, and just about anything goes.

Anyway - yeah, the piano is mostly just doubling up the chords, but I found bringing it up during the middle 8 just before the solo, and dropping the guitars, really makes that part of the song stand out as different from the rest, and it's also where the piano playing does really shine.