Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suit You - The CJ Fuller Mix
Hey CJ Fuller! I do like your mix vs many others i've heard, you have a good ear for the overall perspective and thats something i think is really important, to keep the song interesting and unique without changing it too much. I have some points i'd like to point out from my own perspective though. I think you want more smack and tone into the snare. Its controlled in a nice manner but i believe you could benefit from a hard knee compressor with slower attack and medium release (to make it bit more in you're face). Also id like the vocals to be a little more agressive and upfront maybe more slow compression or some subtle low-lowmid-mid distortion. Other then that i think its a rocking mix! Nice work Smile
Thanks for the feedback. I do try to keep the overall picture in mind, and at least attempt to make the song as a whole sound good. But going back to this for another listen now, I think you're right about the snare. In fact, it could probably do with just being turned up a touch in the mix ;-) The compressor on it was "vintage style" that's just gain and compress type controls, and then there's a touch of tube saturation as well. I will load up something with more control and try out your settings, though.
I thought my vocal was more up-front than a lot. But yeah, it can always be better. I often use distortion on more aggressive vocals, especially as a layer, but for once there was none on this track... I might try it out too.
If you LIKE purposely distorted or over-driven vocal sounds, check out the mixes I did for Facade and Semantics!
So, Brandy, I hear you and sympathize. But do you want to be the sort of executive producer that can simply hire a room full of the best and tell them exactly what to play and how it should sound, or do want to be able to afford someone else to record, produce and mix so you can focus on just playing guitar and writing songs? I can understand the appeal in both... In either case, I wish you all the best in achieving your dream.
(27-07-2017, 05:18 PM)CJ Fuller Wrote: So, Brandy, I hear you and sympathize. But do you want to be the sort of executive producer that can simply hire a room full of the best and tell them exactly what to play and how it should sound, or do want to be able to afford someone else to record, produce and mix so you can focus on just playing guitar and writing songs? I can understand the appeal in both... In either case, I wish you all the best in achieving your dream.

I want to continue to do everything (for mine and other people's albums), except sit behind the computer. Sometimes it's like a desk job. Some days I feel the mouse is glued to my hand. I want to let someone else stare at the screen, do edits and that kind of stuff. I want to make music.

I know a pro video editor, she does TV stuff and spends 12h a day staring at the screen. It's tough... And still, sometimes I spend more than that, juggling between projects and stuff. So I'm trying to get a bigger place, change workflow, play more & edit less (something to live by) Smile

I've been working on my album and I hope it can see the light of day before the end of this year (because of the video and promo and stuff). As fun as it was making it, because it's me doing everything I ended looking at the screen a lot. Big Grin